Spark Plug Wires - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 01, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

I was recently received ACCEL spark plug wires from Jegs for my 68 Camaro to fit an HEI Distributor. These wires need to be cut and crimped on to the connector that goes to the distributor. They told me that these will work as well as the pre connected factory ones. The mechanic who helps me with my car said the ones you have to connect yourself are not good and I should return them for the factory connected ones. Jegs said that with the 68 and no HEI at the time and based on header configuration I am better to cut to length my specific size so I can keep my engine compartment neat with the looms and not have wires that may be too long or short.

Are the wires where you make the one connector ok? Please if you have any experience with this please pass it on.

I am not mechanical and this has confused the heck out of me.

Thanks.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 01, 02:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

The wire is the same. The only problem with the custom made ones is having a good crimper to get a very tight crimp. Most people , well maybe not most, some people just use pliers or a cheap crimper that doesn't provide a good connection. You should use a good racheting one. By the way, read www.magnecor.com for some interesting info. I personally like their wires.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 01, 04:13 PM
XK1
Senior Tech

I've always mademy own, never had a problem. I like it because I can route themneatly wherever I want to. The ones I have now have actual wire in them, so there is a little radio noise, but that's ok, i gyess.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 01, 09:54 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

here is a little FYI for you.. I recently purchased set of MSD wires that had to be crimpted and I didn't want to do that for fear of a bad crimp so I returned them and got a set all read crimmpedfor a 69 with HEI and a 350. The wires are the best on the market because of the extreamly low resistance and electronic"noise" (EMI) suppression. Msd super conductor wires only come with 40-50 ohms per foot compaired to accels 500 ohms. If I were you I would return the wires and order a set of the MSD's the part number is 31359 and can be purchased at your local auto Zone for $73.

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci, 71 gm heads 74cc 1.72in 1.50ex,mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 12 bolt 4.56 posi..
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 01, 02:23 PM
Team Member
John

Ken -

I have always used MSD "Heli-Core" 8mm wires on my (modified) cars, and I buy the "universal" set that has the plug end boots already on, and you custom-cut the other end after you route and loom them so they clear headers and look good. MSD includes an aluminum crimping tool (2-piece, like a die set) that you use in your bench vise to crimp the connectors after stripping the insulation and folding the center conductor back. Have done many sets this way, never had a problem. Personally, I can't stand looking at an engine with too-long plug wires flopping all over the place, especially when they're some weird fluorescent color.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode