Bodywork questions? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 01, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Someone crashed into the door of my 1997 RS and now I found out is has to totally be replaced.

It cracked like an egg and it looks to be made from the same material as the Corvette is.

I'm worried about the inside door decals being replaced,can body shops replace the vehicle information stickers that go on the inside of the door?

What do I need to ask the body shop about before they go replacing my door?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 01, 04:43 PM

Yes the stickers can be replaced. Any professional Body Shop should know how to go about getting them. In some cases certain stickers are only avaliable for so many years. I'm pretty sure you will be able to get most of yours for a '97.
Austin
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 01, 06:33 PM

Be sure you request new sticker some shops wont spend the time to replace them. Your insurance should pay for them to restore your car to before collision condition.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 01, 07:41 PM

Well , I hope you're talking about the generic stickers like tire pressure.

If they hit your drivers door , which I'm assuming is what your talking about , you can NOT replace the decal with the build date and VIN number.

They are "factory installed only".

I've been in the body/paint biz for 20 years and have never been able to get one , even for a brand new car with 5 (yes , five) miles on it and STILL owned by the dealership. We had a car roll back from the transporter and destroy the door (GM/Chevy) , they are absolutely not available. Too many possibilities for use in vehicle theft and VIN switching , they don't sell them or allow them out. 1 per car and thats it. I've done many rebuilders that were perfectly legitimately destroyed , you can't get them for any reason.

What I've always done in the past if someone "has" to have it , is to cut out the whole area around the sticker (as far as possible in all directions) and slowly weld it one tack at a time back into the new door and mask it off refinish around it , or belnd up to it.

It's the only way.

Brian
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 01, 07:11 PM

RSSS69conv, I also am a autobody tech and I don't know for sure about GM, but I know you CAN get the door jamb stiker w/vin on Fords. You can only get them for vehicles that are 5 years old or less. There is alot of paperwork involved with it, and it must be ordered by the Parts manager (and possibly higher ups General manager) of an autorized dealership. You must also turn in the old stiker, by cutting it out of the jamb, and turning it into the manager. It takes about 3 months to get the new sticker. It must be alot of hassle to get them because everytime I've needed one our parts manager (which is a really nice guy) looks like he wants to crawl into a hole.
Austin
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 01, 04:36 PM

Austin ,
That's good to know about Ford , I must just have a lame & lazy Ford dealer here because I tried to get one for a new TBird about 2 years ago and they/parts dept. told me "no way , not available".

I tried to get one for a Mazda about 6 months ago , no luck.

Then I had previously tried to get maybe 5 others over the last 7 or 8 years.

Once you get shot down 6 or 7 times , you learn to quit asking.

Maybe I'll try Ford again if the opportunity presents itself.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 01, 06:21 PM

I'll try to remember to ask the manager whats involved, and possibly a Form # and post oe e-mail ya if I can get better details.
Austin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode