For the price guys - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 01, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

I ve talked with my local chevy dealer and got a price of 1385 for a gm350 crate. I want them to install it with my intake and carb, also i want them to install my exaust and do the wiring on my 69. I would be supplying the parts it is mainly labor. I know this is stuff i should do on my own but im 15 and my parents want it done right. If someone could give me ball park it would be greatly appreciated i know it ranges form dealer to dealer but i havnt had a chance to speak with them about it. Any ideas on price would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 01, 07:39 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

A lot of dealers will not even touch a car like that do to the high risk of failures or mistakes. That and dealers out here in CA are close to the $100 per hour. I dont know about out there but thats close to double what small shops charge.

Most engine swaps on old cars are close to eight hours labor. Plus with the wiring it could be from 4-8 hours depending on whats bad and whats replaced.

In CA that would add up to $3,000 dollars. Going with a small shop would be close to half that price.

The exhaust you can do your self theres kits that come with headers and all the pipes prebent and ready to bolt up for $300-400.

When I was 16 I pulled the engine out of my truck and installed a cheap Kragans motor. It was me, my dad and brother out there for two days bonding and learnig how not install an engine. If your parnets want to pay let them but sometimes you learn alot and appreciate the car more doing it yourself(s).

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 01, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech

It's hard to give a figure since there is no info on the condition of your Camaro. If it is just a straight motor out, motor in job, figure 8-10 hours for a competent wrencher.
Plus, figure in a little unexpected problem time and also coolant, belts, hoses, etc.

As for wiring, again it depends on what the mechanic is facing, Straight forward R&R of harnesses shouldn't be too bad. Diagnosis, troubleshooting and/or custom work will cost more.

Dealerships will generally have higher labor rates than the independent shops. I would ask your local speed shop or fellow car buffs for some recommendations on what shops they think would be able to help with your project.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 01, 11:36 PM
Senior Tech

A dealer most likely wont do that, they wouldnt even replace an in-tank fuel pump in my 89 becuz it had a non-stock engine in it.

Your best bet is to go to a private shop that does custom work, that is not affiliated with any sort of big company, like Penske or Sears or Goodyear, becuz they most likely wont touch it either.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 01, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

As said, dealers are expensive and the smaller shops work by the hour. You ask him a question, he stops work to answer, you're still paying. Just like a plumber, he's on your time(money).

I read from your post, you are the mechanical one of the family. Bear with your parents, they are thinking of you and your safety, I know, I'm talking like a parent, I am.

What would be nice is to do some research from the library and maybe from the dealer on the electrical system, like copies of the schematics, etc.

An idea or two, Do you have a friend whose parent is a auto hobbist or mechanic your parents would trust? Can you talk to the Chevy dealer? What I'm suggesting is BARTER!
Trade your labor, sweeping, cleaning, either the shop, cars, etc., errand running, filing,
any little job you could do to decrease your cost.

If you do a sell job on yourself, you might get some help, but don't be a whiney kid about it, be respectfull and state your case with a straight face and look people in the face when you talk to them.

I better stop now, I could write a book, probably have already,

Good Luck,

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 01, 11:23 PM
Senior Tech

i would say to find the local gearhead guru, hang out with him and get on his good side, and perhaps he will help you out for free- take a weekend to teach you what it means to put an engine in and what to look out for. then, after that, maybe he will help you tune it up and get it up to it's full potential.you make a friend or 10, and also learn a new skill.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 01, 03:33 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

15 with a 69 cool! Stay away from a dealer if your parents let you. I agree hang at a local shop and learn something too. Your friends will be more impressed if you know something. You already got a lot going for you in that you have the right car. (at 15 I got a 65 Mustang what a P.O.S.)

------------------
1969 Camaro 350 & 1969 Impala SS 427/ 4-speed (restored)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 01, 02:46 PM

Tim-I may be able to help you out.I'm in Mass.-probably 50-60 miles from Somers.E-mail me at [email protected] My e-mail has been a little screwy lately so don't panic if you don't hear from me for a few days,I will reply as soon as I can(probably from work-I have a real computer there!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode