Vibrations is engine/drivetrain - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 01, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

My engine vibrates pretty bad, i had the all the bearings done with new piston rings. When i put the engine back in i used new engine mounts, old ones were pretty bad. then i put a new dual friction centerforce clutch had my hayes flywheel resurfaced. Got my car running and it seemed like their was some vibration in drivetrain when i took off in first hard, or at higher rpms in any gear, so i did my 500mile break in, changed the rubber tranny mount with a new energy sus. mount. Started the car and drove it, it shakes and vibrates pretty noticably and bad. It does it while it idles to, and when you put the clutch in it doesn't go away, my balancer seemed a little woobbly so i put a new one on, no good. Check spark,timing, everthing checked out okay,what could this problem be, it was never there before. Engine shop said the engine looked like it had been balanced before, also looked at flwheel/clutch through inspection plate while egine running and it looked pretty smooth,same with balancer, could this be normal with stiff mounts? it doesn't seem right, Maybe valves aren't adjusted it seems to idle pretyy smooth, (while looking at it, not sitting in car) any help is gREat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 01, 05:51 PM

try checking spark plug gap maybe you got one w/electrode bent or ceramic cracked also check the dist cap sometimes a cracked cap will cross fire under load but not at idle. check to see if you got your dist 180 out it will run this way but runs funny.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 01, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

I have a brand new msd cap, i checked it earlier, it seemed okay, also had checked gap, they were all at 55 took them down to 45, which i believe is okay because i have msd box,coil, I also don't believe that an engine would run at all 180 out, could be wrong though, could definetly check. Could having a different harmonic balancer really make a difference? if i had the wrong one, would it make everything shake that bad?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 01, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Question

Could my flywheel been out of balance when it was resurfaced, do clutch's get out of balance???
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 01, 03:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

Check your water pump! I had a similar exprience chasing vibration. Loosen the belt that drives the water pump, grab the fan and shaft and wiggle it. If it wiggles the bearing is bad and will transmitt vibtarion. If you ever had belts flying off and corrected it by overtighting the belt, you may have a damaged the bearing in the water pump .

its worth a look before you tear into other areas.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 01, 04:09 AM
Senior Tech

We need more information. You don't say what this engine is. Is it a 383 or 400 that uses the counterweighted harmonic balancer and flywheel? Did you get the same flywheel back that you took into the machine shop? What RPM is it worst at? Is it smooth at any RPM?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 01, 07:15 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Check all your pulleys and belts. I had a friend that fixed a similar peoblem by tightening them. Not likely BUT might be the problem.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 01, 09:13 AM
Team Member
John

What new engine mounts did you install - rubber or poly? Poly engine mounts along with a poly trans mount is a recipe for transmitting vibration to the rest of the car; the original mounts are rubber for a reason.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 01, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

They are new hard rubber engine mounts, poly trans mount. Don't think its a belt, starting to think its flywheel/clutch, only thing that seems reasonable, how likely is it that this could be it? do you have to balance the fly,clutch a lot? or is it usually fine without balancing? its rough at all rpms especially down low, its an internally balanced engine. it has the most vibration when driving, and my brand new rearmain seal is leaking. and my tranny ouput bushing was messed up before i put everything back together. (had replaced, also polished input on yoke!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 01, 07:02 AM

If your rear main seal is leaking you could be getting oil on your flywheel, causing the pressure plate to slip. This could definitely cause vibration. I would fix that leak for sure.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 01, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Let me give my 2 cents.....

Yes, one should balance the surfaced flywheel. You have changed the balance of it. At the same time, take new clutch plate and cover, have them neutrally balanced as one unit. Hopefully, machine shop would mark each place so as it can be assembled in same matter.

It would be even nicer if you still have the balance sheet from engine, this way it can be determined if those were neutrally balanced.

Vibration will cause the rear main seal to leak, I know you don't want to hear this, but, out-of-balance will also destroy the rear main bearing. Think of an out-of-balance tire.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 01, 10:03 AM
Senior Tech

How about the drive shaft.....?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 01, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I only drove the car 500 miles with the new bearings, i hope that didn't mess the rear one up, Just today i took the flywheel,pressure plate to be balanced, thanks we will see if that takes care of it?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 01, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Just got it back together, most of the vibration went away, still a little rough not nearly as bad, does it for me, thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode