CUSTOM COLD AIR INDUCTION THROUGH FIREWALL - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 01, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I saw a picture I think it was smokey yunicks chevelle where he made an enclosed air cleaner element and piped it through the firewall to catch the cold air from the windshield vent. Has anyone tried this with a camaro? Im thinking of customizing one with aluminum. Any suggestions or experience with this would be greatly appreciated. If you got pictures even better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 01, 03:20 AM
Senior Tech

I've thought about doing that too, if I had a fiberglass cowl induction hood, since they don't have the hole like the steel hoods. I'd make the opening in the air cleaner assembley about the same size as the opening in the hood where it meets the cowl. And make it out of steel so you could smooth it all out with body filler and paint it the same color as the car. Just my thoughts.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 01, 03:27 AM
Tech Team

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mark67ss:
I saw a picture I think it was smokey yunicks chevelle where he made an enclosed air cleaner element and piped it through the firewall to catch the cold air from the windshield vent. Has anyone tried this with a camaro? Im thinking of customizing one with aluminum. Any suggestions or experience with this would be greatly appreciated. If you got pictures even better.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>plenum air system-is provided as a special option (rpo z/28c)and consists of a new air cleaner,air cleaner to dash duct assembly and attaching screws.special instructions are provided on 3916622 air cleaner to dash duct instruction tag. came in trunk. have pictures.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 01, 03:32 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

If that's the picture I'm thinking of, where a duct comes out the pass side, and back to the cowl, the very early cowl inductions for Z/28 were done that way. If I recall, it was a dealer installed option. (Don't know if it was in the trunk, or parts counter product--Anyone know for sure?)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 01, 03:34 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Wow, figmandz302, You can answer my question, before I finish typing it out!!!!!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 01, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hi Figmandz302. love to see the pictures and how it is done. Do you know where I can get an assembly like that and how to install it on an ss 69? please email me with the pictures and info if you can. Thanks
[email protected]
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 01, 09:18 AM
Team Member
John

Saw one go on eBay last month - it was at $2,500 and still climbing last time I looked at it - don't know what it finally sold for.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 01, 05:42 PM

I considered a nascar style cowl induction on my camaro its a cool idea. I have a firebird cowl panel its shaped a lot different tha a camaro and looks neat with my L-88 style fiberglass hood. Maybe a stock car specialty company would have and pre fab assembly I've never looked.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 01, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

How about a factory crossram with cowl plenum air intake!
My friend has #17 of the first 1967 Z/28s. It was a Trans Am car and is restored that way.
There is a picture in the Web site 1967Z2/8.com. Look under the Z gallery for Don W car.
There also is a 1968 Z locally that had the factory cowl plenum set up. It looks cool.

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 01, 02:30 AM

Check out ebay item 595627949 for a good pic of the firewall air induction setup.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 01, 08:32 AM
Tech Team

Talking

This right

or how about this (nascar) for $150

http://63.163.154.167/proswap/auction/new/auction_photo-detail-40.cfm?ln=2901&itemno= 2901

I say take the nascar one and turn it to the passanger side and fab the rest similar to the one on top.
------------------
Sean James
67 camaro convertible
69 Firebird - ls1 t-56 behind pontiac 350 motor
12 bolt 4:10

[This message has been edited by mo67cam (edited 09-21-2001).]
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 01, 12:10 AM

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 01, 03:33 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

What would you guys suggest making the duct that would connect the air cleaner to the firewall out of?

After reading this thread I really like the idea of making my own.

[This message has been edited by Eric68 (edited 09-22-2001).]
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 01, 01:49 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

You won't believe this but I saw this car today at a show in Waterdown Ontario. It was for sale for 48,000 Can. (about 32,000 US)
It seems to be a piece of hard plastic that is screwed to the firewall, and the breather
fits into it. This is the same as the one on my friends 67 Z race car. I will ask him what it is made of and where he got it.

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 01, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

I checked with my friend, and the Cowl plenum that he has is over 30 years old. It is for a 1967 cross ram Z/28. It is one of the only ones that are known to exist, and if you have Hoopers book there is a GM spec sheet on it in the back of the book.
He said the last four barrel one that he saw sold for over 2500 dollars. They are made differently for each year and they were sold as a dealer add on in the trunk of the car along with the headers.
Carl Dwiggins a famous Chev dealer apparently made some repops of the four barrel induction but only sold about 50.
To say the least they are ultra rare.
I know this is not a solution but it is interesting.

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode