Motor and tranny mounts???? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 01, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I was under my new toy(blown,nitrous, tubbed, 55 pro street) the other day and noticed a strange mounting system..The engine is mounted on the frame at front cross member at the very front of motor and the 4speed is mounted to the frame by brackets attached to either side of a very thick red bellhousing and nothing supporting at the rear of the tranny...I am not sure what type of 4speed is in the car..but it doesn't look very big.....Also the tranny doesn't look like it has any provisions for a rear cross member....My question is am I going to run into any problems with this setup..does the tranny need to be supported on the tail shaft car was proffesionaly built at a shop the specializes in hot rods????Thanks in advance

(all shifts are straight 1-3 are forward 2 and 4 are straight back back no side to side movment of shifter also seperate lever for reverse..not sure if this bit of info helps ID the 4 speed)

------------------
Retored 76 LE Trans Am 455 4 speed..# matching FOR Sale or Trade for a 68 or 69 big block camaro in good shape
-------------------------
Restored 68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected

http://community.webshots.com/user/badcaiman

[This message has been edited by Badcaiman (edited 09-21-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 01, 03:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I'm not an expert on these cars, but I'm pretty sure the factory mounted the engines in these cars that way, that's why the block has the four holes in the front that usually aren't used. Many race cars use a motor plate bolted to the front of the block and a mid plate between the bellhousing and the block with no rear trans support to mount the engine and trans so I'm sure it's fine. I'm not sure what type of trans it is that has no flange for a crossmember and mount. The shifter sounds like a V-Gate shifter where you lift a handle under the T handle to get it in first. From there it's just straight back for second, straight back up for third, and straight back down for fourth. There's a spring loaded deal that automatically drops between second and third (The little handle you lifted to get in first) and makes third gear to be in the same position as first, and fourth is in the same position as second.

Jody
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 01, 05:46 AM
Senior Tech

I owned a '57 belair and I don't remember how the tranny was mounted, but the engine stock engine mounts were round biscuits and were on the front of the engine. Hope it helps.

Dean

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 01, 01:26 PM
Team Member
John

That's the standard production mounting system for a '55-'57 Chevy - two separate brackets bolted to the lower front of the block with rubber donuts to the frame crossmember, and a mount off each lower corner of the bellhousing; '55-'57 block castings didn't have the three bosses on each side for the side mounts used from '58-on. I had a '57 Bel Air back in the Woodward days, and that mounting system made for 15-minute transmission swaps - no crossmember, no trans mount, no jack required.

How many bolts in the trans side cover? What are the casting numbers from the passenger side of the trans? Is it aluminum? Does it have a machined pad with two holes on the bottom of the tailshaft? Tell us more about the trans and we can identify it.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 01, 01:34 PM
Senior Tech

You might think about changing the mounts they are not the best idea. You can buy a kit to change it over with a minimum of trouble. I have no clue as to what your trans is unless its a real early T10 I think some of them didn't have a place to bolt a crossmember but I might be wrong.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 01, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok...After really getting under there I was able to get a good look at it..Its a Muncie.....I spoke with the builder also he confirms its a Muncie..He also told me that the engine has solid mounts as well as solid tranny mounts and insists that adding a rear tranny crossmember is unnecesary......

Oger why do you think I should change it????Also anyone else see any problems with this setup..Thanks

------------------
Retored 76 LE Trans Am 455 4 speed..# matching FOR Sale or Trade for a 68 or 69 big block camaro in good shape
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 01, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Anyone else have any thoughts on my tranny mounting setup(as described in the above posts)..Do you guys think I will have problems..If so what type of problems..Thanks again

------------------
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 01, 05:39 AM
Senior Tech

If the mounts are solid it should work fine except for the vibration. The original rubber mounts had too much play in them and it was not unusal for the engine to move enough to break the dist. cap by hitting the firewall.

[This message has been edited by oger (edited 09-22-2001).]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 01, 07:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
scott

I had a 55 that I never had any problems with. the original mount system worked fine. As a matter of fact I remember stripping all the teeth off the input shaft in that car and never had a mount problem.

------------------
SCOTT
69 RS-SS 396 4-SPEED
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 01, 08:02 AM

Smile

The old tri-5 mounting method was neat b/c as said earlier, you could pull the tranny as well as drop the clutch w/ little or no problems. I should still have one of the old C.I. bellhousings somewhere b/c I kept one due to all this. Wanted to put it in my '67 Camaro, but didn't b/c of weight, thats all.

This is also why I want one of the open bottom Vette or early 409 aluminum Bellhousings, but they are "pricy". pdq67

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 01, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks guys..I appreciate all the info..Thanks again

------------------
Retored 76 LE Trans Am 455 4 speed..# matching
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode