3.55 gear is the ticket....... - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 01, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Just installed a Richmond 3.55 w/Eaton Posi unit to replace the factory 2.56 open (car came w/Glide , now has M21)

All the difference in the world in "around town" driving. Scoots off the line great and runs at the base powerband @ 35 in 3rd. Gets on the pipe and pulls hard with about 500-700 more RPM (or at 40mph) from a rolling 30-33mph.
(mostly from the cam , but from a gear standpoint)

Runs about 3200 on the highway at about 70 (speedo not ironed out yet ,but paced by another car on the highway). Not too bad on the revs , I and it can definately live on the highway.

I almost bought the 3.73 , glad I didn't , but that's only because I plan on long trips with the Vintage A/C cranking. I think the 3.73 would be neat , but not for me right now. But , if it was a 200 mile day-tripper , or mostly in town , the 3.73 wouldn't be out of the question at all. I had a 3.90 / Muncie car a few years ago and it wasn't very pleasant on the highway , but great in town (gas sucker , but aren't they all ?)

So in my opinion , depending on your displacement , cam & highway needs , the 3.55 is just about the perfect all around gear. I'm happy with it anyway , made a hot rod out of my slug.

(*also keep in mind this is a small block A/C convertible in full RS trim , so it's a tank , base cars & stripper big block coupes would see a far greater benefit)

(3 DUDE give me a call or email me if you see this , about JVille)

Brian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 01, 03:23 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I also like my 3.55's. But I'm running 3100 RPM at 60 mph with 26" tall tires. How tall are your tires?

------------------
68 Camaro, 383 small block with TH350 trans. 12.2's and never trailered.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 01, 04:49 AM
Senior Tech

Hey Brian I've got to wash the mud off the race car from last nite then I'll stop by.
Mike

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 01, 11:41 AM

Smile

I really like my 12 bolts stock 3.31 gears.

Just put tall narrow tires on for trips and gas mileage, then short wide ones on for having tire smoking fun.

I try ta build my engines for torque so I can power the car down the quarter!! That way, it's not as hard on parts b/c I'm not winding the sh-t outta it. pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode