Timing tape and getting shocked - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 01, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

How exactly does timing tape work and exactly how do i time my engine, I am going to buy a expensive timing light from kragen, and take it back when im done with it. I want to do my total timing, i think its supposed to be about36-38, around 2,800-3,00 rpm. Im a little confused about the whole thing, I know how to set initial easily though. Also what don't you touch when turning the distributor when adjusting timing. I have msd setup(dist.,box,coil) and shocked the hell out of myself, jumped up straight in the air, one time while adjusting timing, would like to not let that happen again!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 01, 09:25 PM
Senior Tech

Question

What do you mean by "I am going to buy an expensive timing light and take it back when I am done with it"?
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 01, 10:44 PM
Senior Tech

Question

That would interest me also!

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 05:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Why would you go to all the trouble of buying a piece of equipment like that for your car, knowing that you need it anyway and then return it? As for the shock factor...(hummmmmm!!!! anybody with me on this?) just be a bit careful and don't touch anything when you reach down there with your paw. You should be able to grab the cap and turn it provided you have the hold down bolt to the distributor loose enough, but not too loose. Never used the timing tape, can't help you there. It may have its plus'...anybody?

Sorry...I couldn't help myself

Gary
1969 Cortez Silver Z28

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 07:41 AM

Sometimes we just show our true colors... going to purchase it, use it, then take it back for full refund. I was taught right from wrong. Guess what category you fall under?
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 08:15 AM
Senior Tech

why the hell would you want to take a good timing light back? what happens when you remove the dist. for some reason down the road, and need to time it? what if a buddy needs to time his car? what if actually buying that light and keeping it actually helps a guy keep a job somewhere? what if it just looks cool next to all your other tools? and if it is your first tool, it makes a good starting point for your collection. a good timing light is one of your most important tools...along with a vacuum gauge. you'd be amazed what can be fixed with those 2 most simple of tools...

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Well , thanks for nothing, I don't have 150 dollars to waste on a timing light, if i need it again, i will buy one again. Unlike you guys, i am on a budget, i don't have money just laying around, who cares about stupid old kragen! Anyway if anyone actually has any information for the question it would be greatly appreciated.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 08:51 AM
Tech Team

If you steal a timing light then get one with
an advance dial.Then you won't need to
return the timing tape too.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 09:37 AM
David Pozzi

Why not either borrow one or buy a cheaper timing light? I couldn't imagine not having my own timing light for long.

You don't need a fancy dial type timing light if you have a timing tape anyway.
Check Harbor Freight or someplace.

If you got a shock from turning the distributor, you probably have a bad or loose plug wire somewhere.
Also watch out for reversing the ground and spark plug wires. If you connect the ground to the spark plug on a crome timing light, you can get a shock for sure when you touch the car.

I hate going into auto parts stores and seeing packages that have been opened and taped or stapled back. I never know if everything is still there or if it has been dropped or screwed with.
Would you pay $150 bucks or whatever for a timing light that was in an opened package?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 09-23-2001).]
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 09:48 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cody:
Well , thanks for nothing, I don't have 150 dollars to waste on a timing light, if i need it again, i will buy one again. Unlike you guys, i am on a budget, i don't have money just laying around, who cares about stupid old kragen! Anyway if anyone actually has any information for the question it would be greatly appreciated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're all on budgets Cody!! What you are doing is no better than breaking into someones house, or walking off with someones tools at a car show or the drags!! Where do you draw the limit? Did you ever think about saving for the things you want like honest folks?

Maybe you could just steal a car that's already tuned!!!
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 10:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
With your attitude I was gonna suggest thet you get your hands wet before grabbing the Dist. but I see that you have MSD, it might actually hurt you. Or maybe it will shock some sense into you.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your stupid replies, obviously none of you except for a few no very much, kragen is the reason that there are few parts stores around anymore, all of the local stores are going out of business because they can't compete with the size of kragens and others. now instead of getting advice from a knowledgable person you get some dummy working for minumum wage, that doesn't know anything about cars, i have to help them help me!! Kragen doesn't get ripped off because they send it back to the manufacurer. All these corporations have a lot of money, this stuff doesn't hurt them at alllll. They can repackage the light and send it back to kragen. So keep your little comments to yourself please. And i still havn't got any answers, i thought everyone at this sight were helpfull, maybe some of you aren't
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 12:41 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
You have issues Cody!! You are gonna have to learn the difference between right and wrong before the folks here help you any further!! What gives you the right to take advantage, no matter how much money someone has!!

The bottom line is your actions cost all consumers money! Do you buy software and take it back after you installed it too? Did you know when you go into Vons or Luckys you don't have to pay for the food you eat when you're shopping?

The one thing above all else here at TC is all the good, honest people that frequent it. Sorry you didn't turn out to be one of them!!
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

You must be one of the stupid people at Kragen, do you pull over cops and tell them you accidently ran a stop sign, and tell them to give you a ticket? anyway i am trying to be nice, and your two cents is really not neccesary, fine go get ripped off at kragen, be my guest but don't worry about what im doing. I think there is a difference from returning a used tool, and stealing a car or someones tools. you are entitled to your brady bunch opinions but I didn't ask for so if you don't something positive to say, just keep your mouth closed!
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, thanks to the people who gave me some helpfull replies, i'm still not totally sure about the timing tape though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode