glowing spark plugs - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 01, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

One more question. In the dark if i look at my sparkplugs while the engine is running i can see them being fired, the white part lights up evertime it gets spark, is this normal? I have msd setup(box,dist.,coil) i would guess it is normal, just wondering if my plugs were bad in some way??? using autolites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 05:20 AM
Tech Team

This is not necessarily the answer to your question but are the wires relatively new. Usually the problem lies with cracked wires. When they are old or cracked they will shine at night and you can even see them some during the day. You shouldn't be seeing the fire. Arching....This can definitely cause mis-firing during higher rpm's. Could be wrong with your application but general it's bad wires.

------------------
Presently installing 450hp (@5400 rpm)383 stroker motor for 1968 SS Camaro, TCI tranny w/3500 stall, 3.73 gears
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

They are newer msd 8.5 wires the red ones. I don't see anything through the wire just the porcelain on the plug.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 09:05 PM
Tech Team

Sorry Cody, misunderstood you. From reading other forums about this the response was trying a step colder plug application and to make sure the spark plug gap was set correctly. Although I haven't heard of there being a problem with the glow from the porcelain.

------------------
Presently installing 450hp (@5400 rpm)383 stroker motor for 1968 SS Camaro, TCI tranny w/3500 stall, 3.73 gears
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 01, 02:51 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Have you checked the plugs carefully? Maybe they were purchased by someone, used for a while, and returned for full credit.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 01, 05:59 AM
Senior Tech

Cody, I have seen this happen with hairline cracks in the spark plug, which could happen when they are being installed. Are all of the plugs doing this?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 01, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Ys thery are all doing it
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 01, 01:24 PM

Is there any problems that are coming along with this, or is it just the glow that you're wondering about? Most ceramics are semi-opaque, so I don't see why this couldn't be normal operation. My car is currently in the shop getting painted, but I'll run it in the dark when i get it back to see if mine do it too, anyone else want to try?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 01, 01:45 PM
Senior Tech

They all do it. Most of the time you just can't see it.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 01, 03:59 PM
Senior Tech

I am running the same setup minus the box and my plugs will light up in the dark also this is completely normal... nothing to worry about

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci, 71 gm heads 74cc 1.72in 1.50ex,mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 12 bolt 4.56 posi..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode