Heater core mounts?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 05:56 AM
stenn5

Question

I'am finishing my 69 RS/SS convert I went to put the new heatercore in and I cant seem to get it tight?? Its a 350 car so when I put the the small tab that uses screws on next to the inlet and outlet tubes it wont get tight and I see a rattle everytime I hit a bump how does the tab mount?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 07:03 AM
Senior Tech

It sounds like you may not have the core to case sealer installed. This is a foam rubber piece that goes around the inlet/outlet pipes. Also, you should have two retaining springs holding the core in place.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 07:08 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Stenn5,
You do have the spring clip installed that holds the other side of the heater core I take it? I believe that there is a rubber seal that goes in behind the heater core and is included in a kit of weatherstriping for a heater box installation. Seem to remember this from the 68 I put one in a couple years ago. Yes the metal tab with the single screw is the only other clip holding the heater core in so it sounds like you have all the hardware correct.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 12:07 PM
stenn5

Yes, I have the foam piece that goes around the inlet and outlet tubes I also have the speing piece that slides on the other end of the core and the piece that uses 2 bolts by the inlet and outlet my problem is the bolt on piece only goes 1 waythat I can see? But when I get it all bolted in its still loose and will either leave me with a vibration everythime I hit a bump or its going to allow it to vibrate enough to rub a hole in it.
Thanks alot,
Mike
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 01:40 PM
chuckdetroit

1. Ok, there is 2 retaining irons that hold the core to the face plate. from there we start by lining the outer edge of the fiberglass box with a roap sealer, dont use a thick gasket, you need something that will squish down flat so that the face plate can be mounted without stripping out the small screw bosses on the underside of the box.

2. you can use thick core donut gaskets or make your own gasket, or use the old one that goes on the core and around the core tubes. All this does is keep the core from vibrating against the iner sides of the holes of the face plate.

3. Now that the core is through the holes, face the plate with the core up in front of you on the table with the tubes uptop and facing twards you. Be carefull you dont mess with the tubes to much for the flux or solder will break loose, then you have a leak.

4. there are 2 support retainer iron brackets and one looks odd, because one side of it is angled inwards under the core, and the other is angled outward. This funny angled bracket is placed at the top portion of the core near the tubs to mount the core to the plate the inward angle of the bracket goes on the left site to mount, then mount the other one at the bottom using the small self tapping screws you took off before, if the bosses are stripped you will need to do alittle repair and use bigger screwes to tighten them down.

5. You dont wanna use any gasket or sealer on the under side or outer side of the core, its mounted tight and thats it.

6. Now hopfully you have the linner of the box sealled with roap sealer, BY the way if anyone needs roap sealer I can get them a bunch of it for 10.00 just email me, and I will setup shipping. This sealer can be used for anything.

7. Place the face plate back onto the box lining up the door flapper mechinisim to the box, then bolting it down. Your core should not move at all if its tightly secure to the face plate using the brackets. BTW, if anyone needs these brackets I have some extra. email me.

8. re bolt up all the small screws and make sure everything is tight. thats it. Also make sure your hose goes all the way up the tubs within the firewall to protect the copper tubbing.

[This message has been edited by chuckdetroit (edited 09-23-2001).]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 01, 03:14 AM

Sounds like you may have the wrong clip for the size of the heater core. There is a difference in the "thickness" of the heater cores. And, there are 2 different size heater core "clips". Do not recall off the top of my head, but I believe that the '68 used a different size from the '69. Also, check if there is a difference (in thickness) between a small and big block heater core. Perhaps you have the wrong heater core ? The Year One catalog should list the different sizes. Hope this helps.

Kent

[This message has been edited by BACKN 68 (edited 09-24-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode