Restore or not to restore is the question - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have a '78 camaro LT (gee, could you tell?) everything on it is stock (except the steering wheel and radio and I have the factory cover for it) For the most part it is in good shape (needs a little paint) So what should I do, restore it or customize it. The LT isn't the most wanted camaro on the market so if you think I should restore give a little reason. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 04:34 PM
Tech Team

Ask youself a few things. Can you afford to fix it up. Does the car hold some type of value to you personally? When the car is finished will you enjoy the time spent on it.....I'm in the middle of tearing into my 68 and to be to be honest I get frusterated quite a bit. Then I look a year or 2 down the road when I have a kick *** car that I built!...That makes it's worth it for me...what about U
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thats the problem, I would like to fix it up and customize it (get rid of the dang 305 2 bbl) but this car is cherry, all original. It came from germany, a friend of mine got there when he was in the army and brought it back with him. I have proof of ownership back to the first person who owned it, full maint records, all the paperwork including the original window sticker, and only 116,835 original kilometers documentable. That is why I am undecided

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 05:19 PM
Tech Team

I would make it a mint stock looking 78 camaro LT and not tell anyone there is a 383 under the hood.
Just my $.02

69 SS RS Convert.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have thought about that, but how do I hide the tunnel ram and super charger?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 05:33 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Talking

Jus tbuy some of that Invisible Paint from your nearest Autozone and no one will know!

joe

------------------
69 SS396 Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thats bad, but that is the point. What do I do? I really dont want a monster under the hood, it would be nice, but I cant afford it. On the other hand I would like to keep my tunes in there (sony explod sys) but a 78 screaming SRV or ZZ just aint stock. I would also like to get a little more sound out of the back too, stock is too quiet, I cant tell if the engine is running.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I guess what I dont want to do is turn it in to a Z, RS, or SS. I am not fond of that, if it isn't too bad. Alot of people have been burned by the stickers and emblems. So if I customize it what do I do with the LT emblems?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 06:24 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

I tend to like sleepers. Thats cars with some good power but look like a stock average car. The 70 camaro I have now is going to go that path. I'm putting in a larger engine, improve the tranny and change the rear gears. The only hints are going to be the exhaust and the bigger tires.

A car like yours could make a real good sleeper. With a 350/383 and a stock look youll surprise a lot people.

They sell car steros that fit the stock location with the stock look but have modern performance. Plus you can use c/d changers with them.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I guess that is an idea. I just really dont want to turn 6's in the 1/4. I guess I will just have to go with what I want, but man, all that paperwork. Too bad it wasn't a Z.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 01, 07:23 PM
Senior Tech

yeah, how would you hide a supercharger and a tunnel ram? that would seem to be a definite packaging issue...

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 01, 06:11 AM
Ren

Thats how I want my '75 LT to torn out. If you have a cherry car, but not a real collectible. Work on the odds and ends that is has wrong with it now, and start building a new motor for it. A fairly stout 383 could be built fairly cheap and over some time as you get the $$, while you drive it still on the 305. You could even get a newer carb/intake/headers etc and use them now and on the new motor too... Just dont go and wreck it like I did and end up needing TONS of crap and not be able to drive it.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 01, 06:41 AM

Thumbs up

I took a 76 LT from rust machine to a complete new body... frame blast, rad cradle, front wheel wells, fenders, rocker panels, floor pans, quarter and door skins, trunk floor etc. etc.
The interior was in great shape, took off the LT emblems and chrome trim around doors, pulled engine.. rebuilt (350) and quadrajet, put in mild cam, alum intake, headers, stage 2 shift kit with stall converter and a few other goodies. I popped in my Alpine system,.. I guess what I'm saying is originally I bought the car to drive around, and ended up spending much more than I anticipated.. moral of my story.. It is a sweet looking sleeper that I can still drive daily and it was a process that I learned alot about cars and restoration, so when I find that dream '67 I'll be much more prepared for the restoration. I will post a pic of the car shortly and you can give your opinion of it.
Cheers
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 01, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thats really what I want, just a nice camaro. It is hard to throw out all of the paperwork tho. Any one know if that factory 305 will take a 4bbl intake without any major timing/motor changes?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 01, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

78, Yep, you can add a 4 bbl intake ( edelbrock make a nice one .. the performer ) and you can drop a q-jet on top of it. If you are in emissions country, you may have to find the correct 4 bbl air cleaner with the warm-air pickup off exh manifold , and the cold-air intake running to the radiator support ... If you are concerned about remaining stock, keep the stock stuff you take off the car, clean it up, and store it ... The bottom line is after all of the changes and the money spent, the value of your car will be determined by your peace of mind ... You have to like what you end up with ... everyone has an opinion, yours is the one that count ... lots of guys have changed their car more than once ... you are never really finished ... you complete a project and then just wait until the next great idea ... the bottom line ... enjoy your car as you go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode