Need Help ASAP.... - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 01, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am so upset...Got my new jacobs boost master in the mail today and decided to install it..Well started the car and after about 2-3 minutes I notice the car is loading up and starts to backfire..Before I could shut it off it backfired shooting flames out the lefts side exhaust..I then noticed a large puddle of of gas coming out left exhaust...I then tried to restart no go...I then removed the the jacobs boostmaster and attempted to re-start..It would start and sputter...Removed and checked the spark plugs they were loaded with carbon and fuel..cleaned and reinstalled fired up but could not keep running and appeared to lack power..I finaly gave up and called it quits for tonight...
Guys..Any thoughts on what I might have screwed up or damaged......Could it just be flooded and will start fine later or tomorrow??Could I have damaged the mallory uni-lite..How to test???Could it have come out of timming???
Also my rich lean meter is no longer moving..Seems like its stuck on lean...Could a backfire have wiped out my rich/lean meter...if so do I need to replace the entire unit or just the sensor..And last question what are the chanses I bent a valve or damaged the blower(Has a blowout plate on the rear)..Any thoughts..Please help

My setup is as follows 6-71 Gm blower 355 chevy..Enderle mech fuel injection--Roller rocker..lunati cam..Mallory uni-lite distributor....

------------------
Retored 76 LE Trans Am 455 4 speed..# matching
-------------------------
Restored 68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected

http://community.webshots.com/user/badcaiman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 01, 03:44 PM
Tech Team

This isnt what you wanted to hear but, personally I would rebuild it from the ground up triple checking EVERYTHING while tring to see if I could find out what happened. Another thing you dont want to hear, the farther from stock you go the more problems you will have. Good luck and sorry it happened.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 01, 04:24 PM
Senior Tech

Let it sit for now, change oil and spin it with the starter with the plugs out just to be sure you're not filling the holes with fuel. When a mechanical fuel injection goes wrong, it goes real wrong.
Keep us posted
John
if the boost master is malfuntioning, it could be thinking you are running a ton of boost now and is retarding the heck out of the ignition.
What is the timing spec for the jacob's unit Perhaps you need to advance it from where it was because the "box" will retard as boost is applied
G'luck

[This message has been edited by 68ragtop (edited 09-25-2001).]

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 01, 04:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Have you had it running well before the installation of the Jacobs boost master? An Enderle mechanical bug or bird catcher is tempermental at best; at worst it's a nightmare. Been there, done that with a blown alcohol flat bottom.

If you can save up to convert it to EFI you'll be amazed at the difference in driveability if it's tuned correctly. A friend got his mechanical bug catcher to work pretty well after many trips to Kinsler to re-work the barrel valve.

What is Jacobs' boost master supposed to do?

Jody
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 01, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Oil is clean..Just changed last week O miles....And I don't believe there is a rebuild kit for the mech fuel injection...Just tried to restart...Hit the button to inject gas via electric pump..Fired right up but died like it ran out of gas...Belt driven fuel pump was putting out 3-4 lbs briefly..Could a backfire have damaged something in the enderle fuel pump...Noticed alot of raw gas coming from the left exhaust..Thank again

------------------
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 01, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The boostmaster was supposed to retard the timing...While driving the driver could retarded 7* to avoid detonation and you could set it so it retard the timing on its own when under boost......Thanks

------------------
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected

[This message has been edited by Badcaiman (edited 09-25-2001).]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 01, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

What would cause one bank(drivers side) to run richer than another????

------------------
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 01, 06:12 PM
Tech Team

I have no idea why one bank runs richer but my passenger side seems to...also I've heard of O2 sensors going bad if you soot em. Or run it too rich which is what sounds like happened.

Running too rich can cause alot of problems but not as many as running lean. I would also take a close look at your fuel metering set-up. Something went wrong you just gotta find what.

I might even guess that you might have blown the module in the unilite. Do a search on unilite here and see how people have said that. I'd go with a straight up HEI with a MSD boost retard and computer(the jacobs might still work?...if not return it they'll let you) and DON'T get Mr Gaskets set of weights for the hei.

Also NAPA will test modules for free but they might not be able to test unilites since it's aftermarket and all. If you stay with the unilite I'd buy one of their resistors for extra insurance.
Good Luck keep us posted.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 01, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well figured it out...Seems the electric pump cuts out when the engine stops cranking letting the belt driven fuel pump to take over...Problem is the tank has a divider 5 gallons on either side..So once the tank drops below 5 gallons..the tank is basicly divided in two...One side is for the electric pump the other is for the belt driven pump...So it was priming with the electric pump side but was out of fuel on the side that keeps it running... filled it with fuel checked compression(see other post) and changed spark plug..Started first crank..Purred like the sound of slow moving thunder Thanks for your help guys

------------------
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode