buying things online question???? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 01, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

i'm not sure where to post this, but this seems the most appropriate. i buying some parts soon from online, just wanted to know how safe is it? THE MAIN THING AT THE MOMENT IS THAT I'M BUYING A PART FROM THIS GUY. HOW OR WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE TO SHIPPING AND METHOD OF PAYMENT? I'M CLUELESS ABOUT THIS, SINCE THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT I'M BUYING STUFF AND DON'T WANT TO GET STIFFED. THANKS IN ADVANCE...HOPE YOU CAN REPOND A.S.A.P....Cabrera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 01, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech

The best advice I think
is to pay by Credit Card if possible, that way you can always go back and dipute the charges if the seller does not ship the item or it is not what was represented. The credit card company will then go after the seller for the money.

Hope that helps,

Kevin

------------------
68 Camaro SS - In Resto
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 01, 12:35 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I've sold stuff using the ads section here www.camaros.net/ads and bought through e-bay...

You will find not too many folks, unless it's ebay or other auction sites can take cards... Postal money orders are good because if the deal goes south it's postal fraud. I think it's reasonable to expect to pay up front. When the seller gets the money order then he sends the goods. As a seller I have always mailed within 24 hrs of receiving payment. That is what I expect as a buyer.. Keep the comunications open, e-mail to say the check's in the mail and ask the seller to notify you when he gets it and when the package is on it's way....

Also ask any questions you might have before sending the money and before agreeing to buy the stuff. Ask about being able to return the stuff as well!! Just in case!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 01, 01:22 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

All banks put a 30 day hold on out of state checks. So if you buy something out of state and it is not sent to you, you have up to 30 days to put a stop payment. Plus a check is good proof that you sent money. Just dont send cash.

If you do get burned by some one "...dont take matters into your own hands, you take them to court. The Peoples Court..."

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 01, 01:44 PM
Senior Tech

If at all possible have the item shipped by some meathod that you can track. I took a loss on some stuff that the seller swears it was sent out by US mail. I never got it and there is no way to track it thru the postal service unless you paid extra for that service. I would also shy away from having anything shipped across a border. If that doesn't arrive you have no recourse at all.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 01, 02:29 PM
Bill

Cab,
I have had very good luck both buying and selling online. Just treat it as you would if you were buying something from a magazine want ad etc. If there are any questions...make a phone call and talk to the seller in person. I find it much easier to judge a person when you hear his voice.
If it is an expensive item, there are online escrow services that will hold the money until the part is delivered and found acceptable. They charge a small fee, but it would be better than losing a large amount of money.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 01, 02:56 PM
Senior Tech
John

JoeKool,

I don't mean to dispute your input, just adding to it... not all banks put a 30 day hold on out of state checks. I used to work for a bank and this was not the policy. Some other banks may have this policy though.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 01, 04:21 PM

ive bought numerus items online and always had a good experience,the last thing i bought was a complete set of 1980 seatbelts and sunvisors in mint condition the guy i dealt with shipped me everything told me to inspect it make sure it was what i wanted then send payment i was in awe of the trust he gave me,he held the check i had to e-mail him and ask why he hadnt cashed it he said he was making sure i was happy with the purchase i just thought id relay my expereince.

------------------
chris
1980 Z/28
350 .60 over stock bottom end world products torker2s 280H compcam edel.performer rpm,holly 750 dual feed.
2200 stall,- but still not done.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 01, 08:31 PM
Senior Tech

I bought parts from Big Gear Head, very knowledgable fellow, I'm in Canada he's in the USA, I sent a cheque and indicated US funds, Big Gear Head sent parts UPS and gave me a tracking #, I watched it move from place to place, cross the border, and ended up in my hands a day before they said it would. I was very pleased with the entire ordeal. I guess the main thing is to deal with honest and knowledgable folks and if being shipped use a service with a tracking feature. Like I said very impressed with UPS, and Big Gear Head.

------------------
'68 Camaro, 350 (30 over), Forged TRW 9.8, Scat 4340 Crank, RPM Air Gap, RPM Alum. heads,
Holley 750, Turbo 400, 2.73 going to 4.11, Stock stall going to 2600, Comp Cams 280H.
Will be adding 250 HP Giggle Gas.
(Hope to run high 11's without and get into 10's with the HUMOR BUTTON Squeeeeezzed)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 01, 08:48 PM

Thumbs up

If buying thru Ebay - check the seller's feedback - If they have hundreds of comments and most / all are positive - - I feel pretty comfortable.

I've bought thru this website, Chevelles.com, ebay, and Mortec - - and have NEVER had a problem.

I agree - the most important thing is, ask lot's of questions up front, if possible agree to return if not happy (as a buyer, I expect to pay shipping both ways if not happy - generally it's cheaper than getting stuck with a piece of sh**.) Get pictures emailed (picture worth 1,000 words).

Communicate often (email that you sent the check, they receive ck, they mailed (always insist on tracking via fedex/ups), you've received, etc.)

Hope all works out for you... and remember 99%+ of people are honest.

------------------
Steve
My Cars
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 01, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Wink

HEY ALL, THANKS FOR THE IMPUT. SO FAR THE SELLER HAS BEEN GUIDING THRU EVERYTHING AND SO FAR, IT'S ALL GOOD. LIKE I SAID, THIS IS MY FIRST TIME BUYING FROM A PRIVATE PARTY OR HERE ON THE WEB FOR THAT MATTER. THANKS ALL AGAIN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode