AC Expansion Valve - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 01, 02:36 AM
chuckdetroit

Ok I bought a new expansion valve for the evap on my rebuilt AC unit, also bought the R134 Tank and replaced all the valve stems. My question is, the new replacment Screen for the expansion valve, which side does that go into. the side of the evap or the side of the Dryer tank? the screen is real small and is like a filter. Can anyone help me on infomation as to how or where I can get parts for the 69 AC Box.. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 01, 04:27 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

It goes on the side of the valve that connects to the hose running to the dryer. Refrigerant flows from the compressor to the condenser to the dryer to the evaporator and back to the compressor. It is liquid from the condenser to the inlet side of the expansion valve. The screens purpose is to keep junk from getting into the valve seat.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 01, 04:52 AM
chuckdetroit

Thanks mark, do you have any pictures of this hookup so I can be sure I'm doing this right. I have rebuilt the Boxes (fixed cracks), got the new dryer tank, needle valves. All I need is the hoses I think. The car is a 69 Z28... if you have any close up pics please email me some! thanks.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 01, 06:19 AM
Kevin

Should someone break the news to Chuck about A/C and Z/28s in 69? Kevin

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 10-01-2001).]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 01, 08:01 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

He did not say factory A/C on Z/28.

I have a similar deal with A/C on L72. I had to modify the rear compressor bracket to attach to the manifold bolts, since the 840 heads did not have all the correct bosses. Also had to use non-deep groove crank pulley, since I needed 3 groove.

Corillary question....We always hear "no A/C on solid lifter cars" Any reason for that, or is it just Hi po cars were not available with A/C, and they just happened to be solid lifter applications? John?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 01, 08:54 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Solid lifter cars equal high HP and high RPM engines. High RPM engines with A/C equal exploded compressors. Also people buying high HP cars typically don't want HP robbing accessories like A/C. Although I think the warrantee issues on the compressors are the real reason.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 01, 11:14 AM
Kevin

Unreal, I put the smiley on my post cause I was joking a little, but I don't think Chuck is working on an aftermarket A/C system. If he was, why did he have his A/C rebuilt? And why did he have to buy an R-134 tank and change the valve stems?

I could be wrong (which happens a lot ), but it sounds like an R-12 to R-134 conversion on a factory A/C system, which would not come on a real 69 Z.

Kevin
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 01, 12:29 PM
chuckdetroit

It is a R134 tank. Being that I want to meet with todays Standards for Ozone Policies. but Mark is right It is factory 68 (I believe box) I am rebuilding. Again it is a 350 Small Block V8 so I dont think I will blow any aftermarket compressor with that engine. The canisister filter (not the tank) had to have new Valve stems put in because the old ones were bad and there was a **** load of Gunk in them. That unit was then cleaned and re-used, the Expansion again was replaced with a new AC delco part, because the old one would not work well with the R134 conversion. The Evap core was tested for leaks and ok, installed a new blower motor Resister and Temp cutoff switch. OK with all that.. I have another question, I am rebuilding a clone Z28 Its a 69 Z28 Car on a 68 frame and posibly firewall, Im not to sure about the firewall, When I did buy the car, I did remove the AC unit off the firewall. The 68's had the factory AC right????? Did the 69 Z 28 have it??? And if so, I am assuming it was the same system or slightly modified. As for headers, I don't think I will put headers on, because of the AC box being so close, even tho I have a heat shield on the AC box. I have not come to that conclusion yet..
http://www.shemadeavideo.com/rebuild.jpg

here is a pic of the ac boxes before the re-build, they had many cracks and were fixed.

[This message has been edited by chuckdetroit (edited 10-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by chuckdetroit (edited 10-01-2001).]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 01, 02:44 PM
Team Member
John

Z/28's weren't available with A/C - heaters only. Period.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 01, 04:17 PM
Senior Tech

The reason they didnt offer A/C on cars with soild lifters. (Z'z, L78's) Is because the cams were so "lopey" <sp> The compressor speed could not be consistant causing poor cooling at idle.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 01, 04:26 PM
chuckdetroit

so Im assuming it would be a bad Idea to install the air, even tho Im not racing the car???

if so, what do I put in place of the hole thats there when the heater box goes inside and under the dash?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode