Shipping charges - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 01, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Thumbs down

I tried doing a search on this topic, there was none and I hope I'm not the only one that feels this way. Anybody notice the prices people are asking for shipping these days? I frequent a common auction site and it seems there is a trend in over charging on shipping. Me personally, I would always charge a customer no more than what the actual package weight is. I have seen some very extreme charges for items that just don't justify the high charge. For an example...a crank is being auctioned off on an auction site and the winning bidder will have to pay $45.00 for shipping. I myself just bought a crank (the same being auctioned) from a gentleman in Dallas, Texas... shipping was $28.00 and some change and I sent one to Irving, Texas for the same charge.

How about some thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Gary

1969 Cortez Silver Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 01, 03:01 PM
Jeff

Arrow

Give me $45 shipping anytime or the free ground shipping the companies give to those that live on the mainland. My truck lid cost more to ship than the part. Two door shells cost $325 to ship and thats by boat. The doors were shipped in a outer box that was oversized by 22" Long and 11" tall with no packing material inside, just glad they didnt slide around and get beat up. I can see your point though, sometimes I think I am paying the catalog places extra to box them up and send them this way. I would think they would do that as normal service since they have daily pick-up and delivery from the major carriers. Glad i found a new GM hood here but both fenders and inner fenders are gonna cost me just under $800 to ship. I asked them if they could put the inner ones bubble wrapped inside of the fenders but they wont guess im cheap and just trying to save money. which means more parts
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 01, 03:41 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I always factor it into the price I am willing to pay for an item. a $100.00 widget isn't a bargin if you buy it for $60 and pay $50 for shipping. If the cost is up front I can't get mad over it! A lot of folks call it shipping & handling adding extra for the labor of packing. It may include insurance as well.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 01, 03:46 PM
Bill

Gary,
UPS has raised thier rates substantially in the last year. $45 is not at all unusual for a crankshaft, but it depends on what type of crank and how far it is going. A 454 steel crank is going to cost a lot more than a lightweight 350. Also, distance makes a lot of difference. It can be more than double depending on haw far it has to go. go to UPS's web page and put in a couple of hypothetical packages and see what they cost, you may be surprised.
Just for grins, I put in a 50lb package insured for $300 shipped from California to Maryland....$47.55 Most Small Block cranks are well over 5o lbs.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 10-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 10-04-2001).]
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 01, 04:28 PM
kel
Senior Tech

I agree with Bill.

The seller on e-bay does not know where he will have to ship the part so he may be hedging his bets by charging a worst case.

Remember, these shipping companies have to make money too.

Kel

------------------
My '68 SS396

North Texas Camaro Club

Is the glass half empty or half full???.....Neither, the glass is twice as large as it needs to be!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 01, 04:37 PM
Senior Tech
John

as a former UPS employee (seasonal job at Christmas seasons), I have to say that while shipping charges are high, they may not be quite as outlandish as some may think. I am not saying they are as low as they could be either however.

I worked from midnight to 9am, Monday-Saturday unloading and loading trucks to be driven to houses for delivery. I worked at the main sorting facility for about a 100 mile radius and it is a tough job. With 200 total employees (maybe 150 of which are loading, the others are sorting) loading over 200,000 packages a night, I couldn't even take a 5 minute break without being overwhelmed with packages. They have a hard time finding people who are willing to work in those conditions.

The funniest thing was that when I first started working there, I was one of about 8 seasonal employees signing on for the Christmas season... after the first week I was the only one who hadn't quit.

Anyway, just the other side of the spectrum. Not saying that I am happy about paying shipping charges either though. Sorry it is so high.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 01, 01:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Hey Jeff, I share your pain on this for living overseas. Thats a reason there are so many modified "Ricers" here, parts are abundant all around. Example, I paid $90.00 for a RH inner fender and $88.00 S&H. Just wonder how is the situation for our fellow members in Europe. Well, like you say, "no pain no gain". For that reason I tell you, some body here in PR mess with my Camaro, has to hide like "bin" is doing.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 01, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Talking

Pretty good topic, huh? I have bought and sold stuff on eBay for awhile now and I usually do it for fun and to ultimately purchase that much needed Camaro part that seems to take forever to find, but I have to say, for the most part the prices are fair. I have seen some really off the wall shipping charges. I'm not just talking about the long distance shipping or the heavy weight items. I had a guy that wanted to charge me $15.00 to send something that weighed less than 2 lbs from the state next to me. Anyway...this is just my 2 cents worth.

Gary
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 01, 04:26 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

The shipping cost will depend on how you ship, if the item is picked up by UPS driver (cost more), dropped off at a UPS counter or dropped off at a authorized shipping agent (cost more). If you drop it off at a UPS counter, that would be the cheapest method but they are only open at select times. Around here is 4:15PM to 5:30PM M-F. Any other methof the cost goes up at least 10-20%, then you also have to condsider the cost to package an item. Those materials are not free!! Then the cost to drive to the shipping counter, wait in line for 30 minutes etc. What it says for cost on the shipping label it just what UPS charged, you have to figure in the packaging materials, which everyone assumes the seller should have to absorb I guess. If shipping costs bother you, there are other altenatives, shop locally.

Example-a year of so ago I shipped an fan shroud to CA, I packed it good in a large box and dropped it off myself, cost about $14. The buyer claimed it was cracked when he got it and wanted to send it back. I said go ahead, so he went to a shipping center (Nat's chain store), had them box and ship it. Cost to send it back to me UPS was about $30, he sent me the bill. UPS insurance covered it although I had to wait 6 weeks. btw-I came back totally busted as the packing was terrible, I know it never was like that because the guy had sent me photo's showing the first damage and it was minimal compared to what came back, about 7 pieces.

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 10-05-2001).]
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 01, 05:55 AM

Of course sometimes it goes the other way too. I got some parts recently that I paid $8 for shipping for, and the sticker on the box from the Post Office said shipping was 10 bucks plus some change. The seller of the auction didn't ask me for an extra 2 dollars, it just came out of his profit on the parts. Most of those shipping charges are a best guess. You win some, you lose some. A few times I've not bid on a small item just because they wanted an outlandish amount of money to ship it.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 01, 05:58 AM
Senior Tech

Angry

Its common practice people on e-bay overcharge shipping and pad the profit. I buy and sell all the time on e-bay and notice this scam a lot. Itís a rip off. I always verify shipping costs through the UPS web site.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 01, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Talking

TobyT...I agree with you on the profit thing.

Me personally, I always have plenty of packaging and stuffing on hand for shipping. I pack well and send everything via USPS. I haven't used UPS for a long time since they crushed an original argent silver grill for my 69 Z that took me a year to locate...and thats not the only time thats happened to me. Some people just don't have it in them to do a good job packing, but man... they want that money or you don't get the part.

Also, if I know I have to go thru all that trouble in looking for packaging, stuffing, waiting in line so on and so forth, I still find it a challenge to make shipping reasonable for the buyer. Again, some people just don't have it in them to spend that extra time to make sure the customer gets his/her product undamaged. Its the nature of the beast.

Gary
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 01, 06:31 PM
Senior Tech
frank

Shipping costs are one thing, but up here in Canada we pay about 35% duty and 54% exchange rate to boot. Six engine compartment decals from Classic Industries landed in my city cost me $45.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 01, 06:53 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
i like Summit racing's shipping charges- none for ground UPS, and cheap for quicker services, most i've paid for shipping though them was $5 or $10 for 2nd day, on a part i needed quick!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode