TX state inspections & plates - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 01, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Posts: 19

Hi guys,

Just moved to Ft Worth area, and it's time to plate my '69 Camaro. However, I must have it inspected 1st. Does the state of Texas have any procedures in place for driving my car, on a one shot basis, to and from the inspection station, without current plates? I was thinking of something like a temporary dealer plate, or something similar to a ferry permit issued for aircraft. I have contacted several agencies here, but no one seems to know anything. Trailering is not an option. Surely there is some kind of process in place to cover this type of situation, other than risking a ticket from the local gendarmes.

I need plates to drive on the street, but I must have it inspected first to get the plates. What a Catch 22! I'd like to add that the state that I last lived in had no state inspection, so this situation was never encountered.

Thanks for the help.


FlapsFive737 is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 01, 09:37 AM
Senior Tech
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: fort worth texas usa
Posts: 150

I'm guessing your car has no plates at all right? I probably wouldn't drive if it dosen't.I would imagine if you have proof you just moved here and had proof your car was legal in the state you moved from if you get pulled over I would think the cop would give you some slack seeing your trying to get it inspected. If you plan on staying in Texas you need to get Texas plates and a registration tag. I just renewed mine for my 67 and it was $51.80. I also got new plates in the deal. Where are you located in Ft. Worth? We have quite a few places to get 1st gen parts here. Also a few close racetracks... I just re-read and you CAN get plates without an inspection you just need current insurance on the car.

[This message has been edited by kobuzz (edited 10-06-2001).]
kobuzz is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 01, 10:24 AM
Senior Tech
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: abilene texas
Posts: 233

FWIW - out here in Abilene, they do not look at an inspection when you go to the courthouse for plates. They will want to see current insurance. I think that you will be able to get the plates and then the inspection without hassle.
rick is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 01, 05:14 AM
Senior Tech
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Big D little a-l-l-a-s
Posts: 523

First of all, you can get a TEMPORARY paper tag which is good for 30 days from your local Department of Transporation (called DOT down here). I beleive the cost is around $25.00. The one I am familiar with is at the NORTHEAST corner or Highway 360 and the I-30 entrance. You will have to show proof of ownership (usually license receipt and registration if you have it).

Secondly, I WOULD NOT have the car inspected. I would suggest the you register the car as an ANTIQUE vehicle. When you do this, state inspections and license plate renewel stickers are NOT required.

I did this with my 69 and this how it works in Texas. I bought a 1969 license plate (you can get plates that say Antique Vehicle from the State of Texas as well). You can get 1969 plates from vendors like http://firewheelclassics.com. Then you go down to your local tax office and tell them you want to register your car as an ANTIQUE vehicle. They then will give you a form which you will fill out and take to your local DOT office along with those 1969 plates you just bought. The DOT then will process your form and will APPROVE your plates for use on your vehicle. This will take about three weeks and the DOT will notify you by letter you can pickup your antique plates (or in this case, your antique plastic tab)from your county tax office. The cost will be around 32.00 for this TAB. You have to RENEW this every two years. You then attach the tab to the rear 1969 plate on our car and you are done.

One word of caution on the 69 Texas plates. 69 plates had black letters on a white background. The WHITE that was used on the plates had a defect in the reflective material which caused them to yellow over a period of time. This is why it is hard to find really nice 69 plates and when you do, you can expect to pay at least 50.00 for them. You CAN NOT use another year's plates on your 69. The 68's for instance were white letters on black background and had HEMISPHERE on the them because the World Hemisphere was in San Antonio that year.

By the way, if you hadn't heard we probably have the most active camaro club in the country with over 100 members. Check us out:

Look forward to seeing you down here!!!

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 10-07-2001).]
sr71bb is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 01, 08:36 AM
Senior Tech
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Colleyville, TX
Posts: 315

The other option is to register the vehicle as a classic. The processs is the same as described by Greg but you only have to do it every 5 years at a cost of $50. You can use the old plates here as well.

There are some stipulations though. You can only drive the car to show, parades or for repair work. I guess chosing this option depends on how you use your car.

NTC is a great club. We are having a club cruise on October 20. It is sure to be a good time and is always neat to see several first gens rumbling down the road.


My '68 SS396

North Texas Camaro Club

Is the glass half empty or half full???.....Neither, the glass is twice as large as it needs to be!
kel is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 01, 03:10 PM
Senior Tech
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 138

They have it right. The plates and the inspection are two different things. First go get the plates. You might need to show proof of insurance. You definately have to have POI for inspection. One way to avoid the inspection is to register as Classic. You can do that with new plates or get old ones. I saw a place that had new never been issued plates at a swap meet once. Get over to TDOT and start cruisin'.
TheGreen68 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 01, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Posts: 19

Thanks for the help guys

I still had my Indiana plate on that expired in Sept., so I just decided to chance it and drive over to the inspection station. . (this before I checked all the replies) No problems at all.

I was under the impression that I had to have the inspection first. This info came from my wife, who took care of plating our daily drivers. Guess she didn't have it right.

I kind of like the idea of a '69 year plate. That would look pretty nice. I'll look into that later, when I have the time.

I went to the NTC site, but didn't see any info for the cruise on the 20th. Could one of you guys give me some more info; sounds like a good time.

I forgot who asked, but we are in North Richland Hills.

Thanks again for the replies.

FlapsFive737 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 01, 10:20 PM
Senior Tech
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Big D little a-l-l-a-s
Posts: 523

The information wasn't set at the time of the printing of the newsletter. The way the NTC members communicate the newest information is via a YAHOO newsgroup that goes out to all the members when someone wants to address something to everyone or a news event occurs. Brad Howell is heading up the CRUISE event. All of our prior events more or less centered in the tarrant county (Ft. Worth area). Some of the Dallas guys wanted to have one basically in the Dallas county area so that is where we are having it this year. Here is info from EMAIL that Brad sent out in it's entirety:

Hey all!
I volunteered to take over the cruise arrangements from Bill Roy as he is going to be out of town on the 20th. I have laid out a route that I hope everyone will enjoy.

We will start at Young Chevrolet at 9:00 AM on Saturday the 20th.

We will leave Young Chevy around 9:30 and go straight up 30 to tour the new drag strip Red Line located just east of Royse City at mile marker 83. They are not quite done with it so we can't make any passes on the track. Instead, we will tour the track for about an hour and then leave there heading back West to 635. Then North to Northwest Highway and on over to Kellers for lunch.
Kellers will set aside the entire covered back row for us and they assured me they would have at least two people and possibly more to take orders so the wait for food should be short.
This cruise is slightly longer than the spring cruise at 70 miles but most of it will have very light traffic.
This is going to be a fun cruise and I would encourage all members to participate.
If anyone has any questions, please give me a call
Brad Howell
[email protected]
Grand Prairie, Texas


By the way the one of the BEST car shows in the area to go to (some of us are always there) is the Christian Cruisers Classics car show right there in North Richland Hills. There are usually around two hundred cars there. Here is link to more information.


[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 10-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 10-08-2001).]
sr71bb is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 01, 04:13 AM
Senior Tech
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 501

I buy and sell 69's. I've done the lisence plate thing numerous times.

If your car has out of state lisence plates, it can't be registered in the state of Texas without an inspection sticker. The only way around this if you register the car a 'title only' registration...which isn't worthwhile if you already have the title.

You'll need the inspector to fill out what's called a 'green sheet' used for out of state cars. After it passes, take the green sheet, title, your proof of insuruance and about $75 to TX DOT who will give you plates on the spot.

Yes, the inspector will drive your car. On these older cars, the primary concern is tires and brakes...make sure they're up to snuff. Good luck with this.
Sleepy-69 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 01, 06:55 AM
Senior Tech
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Dixon, IL, USA
Posts: 149

Hey, how do I get a job as an inspector. It would be a lot of fun driving all of your cars for a living.
Chris Davis is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 01, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Big D little a-l-l-a-s
Posts: 523


Thanks for the input. I do remember now that originally when I bought the car it had OREGON plates and registration on it and the green sheet procedure you described is what I had done PRIOR to getting my antique sticker.

When it came time to renew the inspection and license plates, I then registered the car as an antique as I described above.
sr71bb is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome