Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 01, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Donnie

Send a message via MSN to 69DZ302
Question

If a '69 Camaro X11 code car for sale says that it's an RS how can you really tell for sure that it is other than it having the hideaway lights, correct backup lights, emblems, deluxe interior, RS on steering wheel, hook-ups under the hood, etc which it does have. Is there any other way to verify this if the seller doesn't have something like the build sheet? I just want to be sure it's correct and not an add-on? Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 01, 01:54 AM
Jeff

ALoha, try going to the tag team section and look at the posts for the last few days theres one there for a 69 Z11 pace car which the members have been giving all kinds of help dealing with what to look for when it comes to a RS. I have 3 of them but its easier to just have you go there.
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 01, 04:45 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I believe RS's could have come with standard interior as well as delux. I have an earlier 69 with no "X" code on the tag. I am pretty sure mine is an RS by the same things you mentioned like backup lights, all red tailights, ect. Check the washer nossils for the headlights, mine are pretty worn. I am thinking these are the original nossils.

I would think someone went through an allfull lot of trouble to make it an RS if it isn't true, Why not make it a Z or SS. Good luck.

Daytona Yellow 69 RS 350/TH350.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 01, 05:16 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

You can check the rear valence cut outs, to see if they were stamped at the factory, or cut out afterwards. It's pretty hard to simulate the punched out hole.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 01, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech

You can get an RS without a deluxe interior. I had one. It was Frost green with a standard green interior! I loved that car!Nobody likes that Frost green and lt. green interior but I loved it..wish I could find another like it...very few around.

Gary
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 01, 03:04 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Cool

Interesting....My car started life as a Frost Green, with light green interior, small block automatic. It will end up a Fathom Green black interior Yenko look-alike. Shoulda told me 4 years ago, maybe we coulda done some trading
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 01, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Donnie

Send a message via MSN to 69DZ302
Unhappy

Thanks for all the replies. Someone bought the '69 RS Camaro on Ebay today (it wasn't me) that I was checking on. It looked like a very nice car and the price didn't seem very bad for what it had and the condition it was in. I think it went for $14,300. I think someone got a car that was ready to take to shows and win some trophy's. Thanks again. Donnie...
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 01, 09:37 AM

a sure way to check and see if it is a true RS, is by checking the rear leaf springs, multi-leaves...RS...mono leaf, SS or plain ole camaro, also back up lites in bottom rear valance like the other postee said
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 01, 11:13 AM
Senior Tech
William

Rear springs have nothing to do with RS.

It is fairly easy to indetectably add a complete RS package. Check the hole & grommet where the vacuum hoses enter the firewall. Should be directly above the fuse box.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 01, 04:35 AM

RS--Rally Sport...rally suspension package, front sway bar,,multi leaf rear springs, partial listing from 69 Camaro option list'
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 01, 05:29 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Ralley Sport is RPO Z22... I won't say this is 100% but check it out...
http://holisticpage.com/camaro/camaros/rs.htm

As I understand it this is what you got for your $131.65 RPO Z22

Rally Sport Package;
includes special black painted grille with concealed headlights and headlight washer fender striping (except when sport striping or Z28 Special Performance Package is specified), simulated rear fender louvers, front and rear wheel opening moldings, black body sill, RS emblems on grille, steering wheel and rear panel, Rally Sport front fender nameplates, bright accented taillights, back-up lights below rear bumper;
also includes bright roof drip moldings on Sport Coupe

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 10-15-2001).]
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 01, 07:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Interesting. I didn't realize the RS had a black grill. I have what I believe is an original RS. I base this on the items mentioned in the previous posts and the aged look of the components. However, it isn't an X car so it's more difficult to tell. You don't see too many cars with the blacked out sills. When my car gets painted ( someday ) I'd like to make it more true to the theme.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 01, 07:59 AM
Tech Team

actually the grills are black,from the grill molding out gets painted color of car. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RickD:
Interesting. I didn't realize the RS had a black grill. I have what I believe is an original RS. I base this on the items mentioned in the previous posts and the aged look of the components. However, it isn't an X car so it's more difficult to tell. You don't see too many cars with the blacked out sills. When my car gets painted ( someday ) I'd like to make it more true to the theme.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 01, 08:06 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
The grill itself stays black as I recall... The light covers etc get painted body color!!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 01, 10:38 AM
Senior Tech
Dana

Exception to a black RS grill is if the car was black, then it gets a silver grill (still has body colored surround obviously). I did my black RS-Z/28 grill black as I think it looks better. Okie Junkyard Dog, I think you are confusing the RS and the SS packages. SS is a performance package (multi-leaf springs, 12-bolt rear, etc.), RS is an appearance package only as it could be ordered on a 6 cyl. car!

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302, M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, Spoilers, ZL2 Special Ducted Hood.

1969 SS: Matching # 350/300, M20 4-spd, 3.55 12-bolt posi, Daytona Yellow, Black Houndstooth, Factory Gauges, Spoilers, etc.

'85 Z/28, Rare Factory Yellow, 355 TPI w/ Crane Compu-Cam 2040, Crane adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 22# Injectors, TPIS Airfoil, K&N filters, Hypertech ThermoMaster Stage 2 Chip for '85 Vette, 160 Degree Thermostat, DynoMax Cat Back Exhaust, Rebuilt/Updated 700R4 w/shift kit, 3.23 posi rearend.

[This message has been edited by DWCamaro69 (edited 10-15-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode