Farewell to the Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 01, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Everyone knows by now next year will be the last for the Camaro and Firebird. Does anyone know if GM is planning a special "SS" model or a 35th aniversary model or something???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 01, 10:59 PM
Senior Tech

stripes and embroidered headrests. that is the big finale package..whoop-dee-doo.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 01, 04:35 PM
Senior Tech

I think the Camaro may only be taking a year or two off, but will be back. I think Chevy says it's over so people will rush out and buy one before they're gone...Has anyone read, as I have, and article in Hot Rod the a new Camaro will be modled after the 67!!!!!! i'm not making it up nor did I misread this...

-Gary

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 01, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well, I'm not sure about just a time off period, because I heard that Mustangs were kicking Camaro's *** in sales (I think its true - I see a lot more new Mustangs than Camaros). I also heard that the Camaros will no longer meet government safety standards and GM doens't want to put in the time or money to redesign the whole platform.

I once thought of selling my 92 RS, but I'll think I'll hold on to it - it could be a collector in a few years!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 01, 12:07 AM

Of corse Rustangs outsell the f-body, because chicks drive 'em, and we all know that chicks get what they want, right?

Seriously though, I think it is a marketing ploy, and that GM wil "re-introduce" the f-body in 10 years or so and have people buy them in a frenzy, much like the Monte Carlo.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 01, 03:42 AM

The reason Rustangs have been outselling Camaros is because GM hasn't been making them available. Here around Indy, just try to go out and find the Camaro you want on a lot. Forget it if you want the 6 speed. You'll be on a waiting list to get your car. These people get fed up and walk across the street to Ford where there is a line of Mustangs waiting. What color do you want? The reason Ford has been outselling them with an inferior car is that they simply made them easy to get ahold of...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 01, 09:56 AM
Senior Tech

remember when thay stopped making the z28, (i forget what years ) everyone went wild then gm came back with it. sales went through the roof. i believe its the same thing.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 01, 01:16 PM
Team Member
John

Hardly. Fact is, they just don't sell any more. Combined Camaro/Firebird sales last year were only 70,000, about 25% of the capacity of the plant that makes them (which will be closed). You can't find a 6-speed on a dealer's lot because 99% of Camaro buyers want automatics, and a 6-speed just sits on the lot and gets old for months, while the dealer is paying $250 a month interest on it. Dealers stock what moves, not what sits. If you want something low-volume, you have to order it and wait for it - true at any dealership; they're in business to make money, not to lose $250 a month per new car in stock waiting for buyers. Business reality .

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 01, 06:28 PM
Senior Tech

...And John, one of the reasons no one buys them is because they've been the same style since '93! That's too long to be making the same body style. Also, other than the T/A, they don't look very good...

Gary
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 01, 06:23 PM

Wink

Somewhere in one of the rod or chevy oriented magazines just lately there is an article on a new GM engine. It sounds pretty awesome, high horsepower, no catalytic convts, rotten gas capable and passes emissions. It is to debut around 2005 as I remember. My neighbor sells insurance to auto dealers and gets one of the rags that they get related to Marketing. The article says Camaro is scheduled to return in 2005 as more of a super car with genetics from the Corvette line. Most likely with the aforementioned powerplant.

As to the adios model. Just about every publication has depicted the anniversary model that is available.

Any GM wiz kids out there that want to give us a hint about whether our cars are truly collectors items or will there be a new generation?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 01, 03:23 AM
Tech Team
Charles

I heard that the F-body will not pass 2003 crash test regulations ( mainly side impact, only 1 side impact beams). I also heard that the Camaro will return in 2004 or 2005 when GM introduces its new rear wheel drive platform that the Camaro will share with several other cars. The Firebirds fate is not as clear, it says in the same article that the Firebird will probably not came back. As for why Mustangs outsell Camaros, the answer is simple. The Camaro is an uncompramised performance car, it has limited room in it, and it cost more. It doesn't apeal that much to the non performance people, and has limiter to no resemblence of the original cars that we all love. Whereas the mustang has room, handles more like a Buick than the Camaro, and has good looks that everyone likes. The Camaro will return, they are keeping it quiet so every one will rush out to buy the 35th.

------------------
69 X22 D80 w/95 LT1 Terrorizing the streets of N.E. Ohio....in a year or two.........mabey
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 01, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

camarolt1,

I heard the same about the crash tests. I also found out from a chevy dealer friend of mine that there were some engineers at gm fighting to make the camaro a front wheel drive car.

Thats just insane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode