Old Car Price Guides - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 01, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Question

Does anyone have a recent copy of "Old Car Price Guide" magazine? If so, what is the current value of a number one 1967 Z-28. I know it was $38K last year and was told it is now $42K! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,Mark.

------------------
Mark
'67 Z-28 Network: www3.sympatico.ca/67z28owner/index.html
2002 Quicksilver Corvette Z06
Looking for '67 Z-28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 01, 02:59 PM

The latest guide shows $42K for a '67 Z-28 in number one condition: "restored to current maximum professional standards of quality in every area, or perfect original with components operating and appearing as new. A 95-plus point car that is not driven."

Most people who think they have a #1 car actually often have a #2 car: "Well-restored, or a combination of superior restoration and excellent original" which is priced at $29,400.

Personally, I think this guide is no where near the mark on many cars. As an example, they show a #1 condition ZL-1 at $76,000, a #1 '69 Yenko Camaro at $49,000 and a #1 70 LS-6 Conv. Chevelle for $51,000. These are off in some cases by over 100%. I'd buy all of them I could at these numbers. The '67 Z-28 looks much closer to real world pricing IMO.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 01, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Thanks. I guess the guy was on the mark? Hard to believe 10% growth in 1 year, especially with the current economy!

------------------
Mark
'67 Z-28 Network: www3.sympatico.ca/67z28owner/index.html
2002 Quicksilver Corvette Z06
Looking for '67 Z-28

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 01, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech

only worth as much as someone is willing to pay
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 01, 06:31 PM

Cool

yea, and on tv some guy just paid $144,000.00 for a ZL-1

If you have the cash for investing, I am beting that it will be a good time to shop at the end of this year and into second qtr of next year. Markets will remain weak and some nice cars will come out looking for new owners at prices under what we are used to seeing. The one great thing a Vette dealer told me, Corvettes probably will never drop 50% in value unless we cease to exist. This should hold true for collectable Camaros.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 01, 07:57 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

A Corvette will always be a great collectible as long as GM continues to make new models. So many classic Vette owners started out with a new Vette and then went on to buy an old one to sit alongside it.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...9124&a=8603468
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 01, 04:17 AM

In my opinion , Chev. continuing to make "new" models would have nothing to do with the value of an old one. I don't see any logic in that at all. Why would Chev. ceasing to make Camaro's or Corvette's make older ones worth less ? (the "can't get parts" argument doesn't work either).
Quite the opposite in fact , as with any item from the past , once they stop making it that means there will never be any more in the world than there is at that point....therefore the item goes up. When companies keep making things over & over & over , or they made 200,000 of them , these are the ones that will never be worth anything. How many 3rd & 4th gen. Camaro's are there ? hundreds of thousands.....(and this statement is gonna hurt) but these are never going to be worth anything simply because of such mass production. (until maybe 2024 and you've got a new one in a garage with seven miles on it.)Anything mass produced nowadays will alomst certainly never have any collectibility unless it's a new undriven Z28 model of that year with every option avaiable and every bit of paperwork & window sticker.
Just look at the people that went and bought those 1978 Covette Pace Cars and put them away new....they still arent worth much.
Cease of production (of anything) is what drives the collectible market.

Brian.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 01, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Well I agree that a Corvette will always be collected whether or not Chevy makes them. But because you can still buy a brand new Vette that means that everyone knows what a Vette is. That brings in the next generation of collectors and helps keep the price of popular models up. The Mustang is the same way. Everyone knows what a Mustang is which can make it more fun to own a classic Mustang. At least that is my opinion

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...9124&a=8603468
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 01, 01:39 PM

So people aren't going to know what a Camaro (or even a 1st gen.) is if they stop making Camaro's new ? ...... I mean , there are hundreds of cars that aren't made any more and all are worth many times more than they were new , they're worth thousands of times more than what they sold for new......They quit making AC Cobras and now the 427's are $200,000 as opposed to the $3,000.00 they were new and everyone knows what a Cobra is.....they stopped making Bel Aire convertibles and now they're $60,000.00 as opposed to $2,000.00 new , but still 900 out of 1000 people have never seen one. They don't make Challengers any more but they're one of the most sought after cars there are.....I guess I just don't get what you're point? People who are interested in cars are always going to find out what cars there have been in the past and end up wanting one , and enthusiasts & collectors who've already seen every model of car that's ever been made already know what everything is worth and new people coming into the automotive field and don't know anything about old cars have no bearing on values.....it boils down to the fact that no "certain model" of car is ever going decline in value because they don't make a new model of it for 16 year olds to see and get interested in....they (16yo's) don't have any money anyway and are still in the "dream stage" , the older people with the money that know what the cars were , what they sell for and how they've gone up because they follow them and their values from week to week , are the ones that set the prices by them continually trading at higher and higher prices.
1000 people who don't know what a Tucker is have no bearing on the value of a Tucker just because they only made a handfull. You'd still have people who would travel around the world to buy it. It's really very simple and the same with anything in the world , always has been and always will be , the rarer and fewer there are , the more they're worth. No matter what it is.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 01, 02:36 AM

RSSS396, I think you are generally on target, but don't forget about the demand side of the price equation. It's just not soley about supply. Some of the much older cars have dropped in value as the core of enthusiasts died off. The pre-war cars and model A's, etc are some good examples. Sure there are still some valuable ones, but overall those prices are down for the more common ones. The muscle cars are still hot because the people who grew up with them now are nearing their top earning potential and can afford to buy what they want. It would not surprise me if 20 years from now, the overall demand for muscle cars drops. The best and the rarest will always commnad a value though.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 01, 03:00 PM
Senior Tech
William

Based on what I've read it won't take 20 years. Collector car trends are demographically driven; most of us here are probably 5 years either side of 50. As we retire our tastes will change. We will want an A-frame on a lake, a Harley, etc. The Yenko or whatever will be sold. I used to work with a founding member of the Early Ford V-8 club. I remember him talking about not seeing a new member for 10 years, members passing away and their kids blowing out the cars for whatever they could get. None of the children of the guys I've hung with for all these years cares one bit about a 30 year old car. And most of them have no money. Every dog has its day - Hudson Hornets were big in the early '70s. Won't happen overnight but it will happen.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 01, 08:27 AM

Basic economics of Supply and Demand my friends. All classic cars go up and down in value! Look what happended after september 11th, they all decresed in value and are back on the rise, just like the stock market but a lot more stable. REMEMBER the value of these cars is only what someone will pay for them. Some of these large classic car dealers inflate there prices and in turn increase the values on these cars. Really does any one have a true and tried formula to value a classic car?!!! SUPPLY AND DEMAND
ECONOMICS 101!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 01, 09:05 AM
Senior Tech
William

In 1997 a close friend sold the '67 Z/28-RS now on ebay. The car has been sold twice since and is out there again. It is a nice resto with orginal drivetrain and protect-o-
plate - does it get any better? Keeps selling for essentially the same price it sold for 4 years ago.

Supply & demand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode