Team Camaro Tech banner

windshield molding clips

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  4 speed 
#1 ·
the windshield molding on my 67 is very loose fitting(lost top piece).
I replaced the top molding and the cilps,but it is so loose you can pop it off weith one finger!

the clips don't seem to have an edge to grip the molding .is there different types of clips for different years.I bought the molding and clips from the same camaro supplier(classic muscle).

any help???
thanks!!!!

------------------
camaro's for ever!!! :D
67 327 11:1 4spd.
70 454 400thm 10 posi
my camaros

#2 ·
I had the same problem with my 69 Convertible. The molding strip at the top of the wind shield blew off one day while driving. When I replaced it the new strip snapped on to the clips but just did not feel strong enough.
I put a bead of silicone behind it and have not had any problems.
At over $100 I did not want to lose this piece again.
Maybe someone else out there has a better way to keep it down.

------------------

#3 ·
Several companies are selling clips that don't work. I bought a set and didn't figure it out until after the W/S was installed and I got urethane sealer all over them. Classic Industries sells the corect clips. The incorrect ones I bought were green colored and the CI ones that worked were red.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/16/01 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

#4 ·
Gheatly is correct, I too had this problem (lost my top piece at 70 mph...thought I threw a belt- lost some paint too
).

The clips holding all my trim on the windshield were stainless and had a rounded edge. I could easily pop the trim off with my fingers. My best guess is these are cheap generic clips with an incorrect design for holding Camaro/ Chevy trim.

I bought the red primer ones also, but from Rick's. They fit properly and hold the trim very firmly. They also fit very differently (slide on horizontally) than the incorrect ones (slip on vertically).

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4 at http://www.100megsfree.com/choptop/camaro.html

[This message has been edited by choptop (edited 10-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by choptop (edited 10-18-2001).]

#7 ·
thanks! for the info guy's !!!

love this site!!!

we need some shirts and/or jackets !

------------------
70 454 400thm 10 posi
my camaros

#8 ·
i just had this problem last night. the "rear" type molding clips are pretty worthless. the "front" type are either painted or powdercoated red, and they work well. I'd recommend buying two sets of front clips if originality isn't a concern. even if it is, I don't kow who would pull windshield molding to check something like that. I also scratched my paint (grr) when I tried using the back clips.

#11 ·
******,Yes there are different clips for front and rear.Second gen camaros use four different clips.Some good auto parts stores sell them all,found one here in michigan that stocks them.They also sell a neat rivet kit that replaces the small pins that hold the clips in place,instead of using screws.

Brian Weil

#16 ·
just got the infamuos red clips from rick's along with a nice color catalog,I'll try them tonight and let you guy's know.

------------------
70 454 400thm 10 posi
my camaros

#17 ·
ATLAST!!!!!!!!!
The clips from rick's worked great (red ones).
nice and tight ,the green clips don't have enough edge sticking out.so they're pretty much useless in my case.

thanks for the good info guy's!!!!!!

------------------
drive it like you stole it!!! :D
70 454 400thm 10 posi
my camaros

#18 ·
now if that would have been from lil_beast_67 it would hae been scary

OOPS!!! WRONG THREAD!

------------------
drive it like you stole it!!!

70 454 400thm 10 posi
my camaros

[This message has been edited by 4 speed (edited 10-26-2001).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.