68 Camaros - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 01, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Question

Hi. Interested in knowing the importance of documentation. Is one document more important than an other? Also interested in knowing high and low cost values of vintage 68 Camaros. US currency is fine. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 01, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

One can go to a couple of places:
www.kbb.com www.nadaguides.com www.hemmings.com

Have fun, Protecto Plate is very good to have from what I understand, window sticker, build sheet,

Others here may have more suggestions,

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 01, 07:30 AM
Senior Tech

This topic gets a lot of controversy becasue it all depends on what you want the car for.

If you are buying a nice cruizer to take to an occaisional local small show, documentation, to me, is a non issue. How is the car built today? How does it look and run as it sits in the driveway? Which would you rather have, a perfectly rebuilt 68 SS with a new crate ZZ4 motor, rebuiilt trans , new interior, with nice paint and no documentation or an all original 68SS with the original 350 and the car is is in good condition with decent paint...but it has build sheet, window sticker, and POP? Are you going to restore the car for the show circuit, then go for the latter. Are you going to take it out in the evenings and weekends for a fun day of cruizing?? Then opt for the former.

One caviat to that above is , generally speaking, if the car is in equal condition, then documentation will add some value, just because the market drives it.

As far as cost, for lets say a #2 condition 68 Small Block SS car in my neck of the woods you can figure 15K-20K (U.S.) If it has some documentation and matching numbers motor, maybe add 2-5K depending on the car and the documentation. These are very rough numbers but generally, this is what I see in the Northeast Ohio area.

My 68 RS Z/28 came with no documentation but the dyno sheets for the blueprinted 302 motor that is in it. I cana't even prove it left the factory as a Z/28. I do know that if it was cloned, it was done pretty correct because it has all the Z/28 goodies and some things that were added like a 4 wheel disk brakes. I did not care about the fact it had no documentation becasue the car was just beautiful as it sat in the garage and it ran just as good. Now it is mine...no documentation and all. I suppose that when the day comes to sell it my market (people willing to buy) won't be quite as big because I don't have the documentation. But you know what, I don't care because it will be their loss...not mine.

Sorry to ramble...the world according to 'Da Mouse

R. Stacho (a.k.a Mytmouse @ Team Chevelle)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 01, 07:41 PM
Tech Team

Talking

John
I have a 1968 RS with a matching # 327, 275 horse and a powerglide. It is very very correct and well optioned including ice cold factory A/C. I am in this car $11k and it is a solid #2 condition. I bought it at Hot August Nights last year and saw a near double to it in weak condition without A/C bid to $9500 this year, wow to much if u ask me.
As far as documentation goes the matching motor is the biggest for a Z28 or SS, this proves that it is what it looks like. Without this the build sheet or window sticker or invoice is needed to verify the authenticity. Camaros are cloned more than any other car, there are more Z28's now than in the years they were produced, many with automatics(not available). Anyway my RS would be worth near as much without the original motor but a big block or Z28 would not. In 1967 and some 69's the cowl tag will tell you the options of the car but a 68 does not.
good luck
JA

------------------
John P. Allen
Sunnyvale Ca.
68 RS, 327 w- A/C
70 Buick GS455 Convertable

[This message has been edited by pakual (edited 10-19-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode