FRONT CLIP THAT FLIPS FORWARD WHEN OPENED? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 01, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I saw a website once where a guy made the entire front clip of his camaro open like the new corvettes do. Anyone ever done this if so how did you do it. Is it a lot of work? I really want to do this to my car I think it would be a great pro touring idea. Any pics or info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 01, 02:29 AM

The one piece fiberglass front ends were fairly common on show cars about 15 years ago. Most of the fiberglass parts companies still make them for camaros.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 01, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

DO you know what company or companies still make them, what they go for and how well they fit?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 01, 09:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Lightbulb

Check for part #CA280 from Unlimited Performance Products in Cal. tel 909-735-7770. You may use their front end clip to acomplish what you want.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 01, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech
John

www.vfnfiberglass.com also makes a one piece front. I have heard good things about their quality.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 01, 03:59 PM
Tech Team

Hey Guys:

Even though I still want to restore my 68 to "close" factory look I think that front flip "front end" would look pretty cool at a show. Are these front clips legal on street cars or are thet only allowed on race cars? Also, has anyone ever installed one and how difficult was it?? Bolt on or welding etc...Thanks
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 01, 04:14 PM
David Pozzi

The main problem I see is to make the front end stay put when driving down the road.
Cars with one piece front ends like that will shake the whole front end when you hit bumps.
Careful attention needs to be paid to constructing a decent support structure for the whole front end.

The rear of the fender below the belt line would probably have to be a separate piece like done on the 80's Corvettes.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 01, 04:29 PM
Senior Tech

Most are crude in fit and design and require a lot of work to get right.I would definatley do a search on Unlimited Products before you buy from them.You may be sorry if you don't.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 01, 02:01 AM
Tech Team

Thanks for the help. I'll do the search and go from there.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 01, 04:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I saw a late 50 something Chevy truck at a cruise awhile back. The truck had a flip front end along with a normal hinged hood. He would flip the front end forward and open the hood at the same time, it looked kinda neat but I'm not sure I'd do it to a Camaro. It was all metal with some pretty trick engineering.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 01, 04:50 AM
Senior Tech

I considering the same thing on my 80 if I have the cash.Dave is right you have to cut the fender like the vette at least with the steel front end which I plan on using.I am going with a f/g bolt on hood so I can still just open the hood if I want.The guy who I share a shop with has done it before and says it's not that hard but he's probably the best bodyman around here, the pivot point is probably the hardest because of the long nose he also said that once done it is easy to make it completely removable.If I do it I will post pics.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 01, 05:43 AM
Senior Tech

Try www.up22.com

They have 1 piece front ends and tilt kits.

For 1st gens its $599.oo and $99.

I think I will go this route. Because I will be going with the smooth and clean look.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 01, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
John

some people on this board have given negative reviews to items that they purchased from www.up22.com Say the fit and finish aren't great.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 01, 10:03 AM

I have a fiberglass front clip that flips up on my car. It is old and would need alot of work to be nice. If you do good work with fiberglass you could have this one cheap!!!! Email me for pics if you are interested. [email protected]

Later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode