Big Block Conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 01, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Question

I'm sure this question has been asked and I have looked through the archives without any results so.... I'm in the process of purchasing a 67 that had a small block. I was thinking of doing a big block with a 4 speed. I know that I will need to convert the engine frame mounts and the heater box. What other difficulties can I encounter? If I get the big block heater box will the heater core from a small block be the same and will the box cover the holes on the firewall where the small block heater core came through. I have owned several 1St gen camaros and I'm going through the mid life crisis for another one.
Thanks in Maryland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 01, 02:17 AM
Senior Tech
Brian Cooper

The big block heater box replaces the small block box, so the holes for the heater core will be eliminated. You will need the correct (read original) motor mounts if you want headers to fit right. You will also need all accessory brackets (PS, alt, etc) and a radiator for a big block car. Your front springs will also be sagging from the additional weight, so they will need upgrading (great time to rebuild your front end). Also a good idea to rotate the wiper motor to clear the valve covers if the motor is mounted down. If you have power brakes, you must either use short valve covers or dent the covers to clear the booster.

Good luck, and I am sure more knolwedgeable people here will post as well.

------------------
57 Plymouth Savoy in my family since new, just cosmetically restored, 93 S-10 waiting on the 80 Dodge Lil' red Express clone truck to be built then one s_10 for sale, Angie's mechanic and designated Vette cusser.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 01, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Thanks 57 I knew about the radiator (just forgot to add to list) I didn't know about the wiper motor and brake booster. Thanks again for the heads up.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 01, 02:50 AM
Senior Tech

Don't forget about the clutch z-bar and trans crossmember, both are different for BB.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 01, 02:55 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Also, shifter bracket and linkage are unique to b/b.
The holes for small block heater core are still there for factory b/b. Can't recall how they are sealed---seems like dumdum from the inside, just not sure.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 01, 03:26 PM
Senior Tech
Don

The smallblock holes are covered from the inside with a foam piece available from the resto places.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
Pro-Touring.com DropTop
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode