exhaust/69 Z - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 01, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

looking for chambered exhaust for my 69Z,would like to know more about it.if any one has put them on and where I could get them.if you have to run headers with it etc..any and all comments will be helpfull.thanks .....Z-28ROOKIE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 01, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech
William

Chambered exhaust was standard on 1969 Z/28s built through around November 1968. Because of complaints concerning excessive noise, at that time it became optional and the production muffler became standard equipment. In May 1969 chambered was dropped as an option. It does not require headers; they were not optional for 1969. Despite its reputation as a performance exhaust system testing has shown it is quite restrictive.
Several repro systems are offered although word is they do not have the same rich tone as the original.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 01, 02:48 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

I have a set of b/b chambered, made with 409 stainless, using the original tooling.
The guy who made them 10 or 12 years ago (Alan Colvin) is thinking of making them again. Go to Yenko.net and look for the threads.

I think most the systems out there are made for exhaust manifolds, and would have to be modified for headers.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 01, 04:41 PM
Tech Team

Thumbs up

I have the chambered exhaust system on my car with hookers and a cross over pipe off the back of the headers . Many of the suppiers in the US offer the original type chambered exhaust system Padduck , D&R ect. but Iv'e only seen it in the manifold version . Very costly. and the only parts of that system you can use with the header set up is from the two center mufflers back . sounds and works great . By the way hookers were also available from chevy in 69 but I dont know if the two were ever offered together
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 01, 04:49 PM
Tech Team

Smile

PS on the hookers in 69 , they were not available as a factory fit they came bubble wrapped in the trunk and the dealer had to install them , saw on car at a show that had the original set still bubble wrapped the the trunk , very rare
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 01, 06:01 PM
Senior Tech
frank

Its been my understanding factory headers were only available in 67 and 68.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 01, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thumbs up

Thank you for all the info,since I'm new at this.I'm trying to get any and all information before hand.just bought the Z ,and always loved the sound of chambered pipes.Thanks........
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 01, 11:44 AM
Senior Tech
Max

Cool

Z28Rookie,

Look at www.gardnerexhaust.com. I ordered a Gardner system for my Z and everything was perfect. If nothing else, they have a great site with neat cars and sound clips.

------------------
69 Z/28 X77, Fathom Green, 34,000 Original Miles - Photos
69 SS 350, Lemans Blue, 350/300, TH350, 5 X 34,000 original miles
(bought it when I was 15)

[This message has been edited by MAXIMUM69 (edited 10-29-2001).]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 01, 01:13 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Also check MC Productions at www.sweet-thunder.com he has several chambered systems which are somewhat affordable.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 01, 01:26 PM
Team Member
John

The "factory headers" in '68 that either came in the trunk or were available over the parts counter were all made by Kustom Equipment Co., a speed shop in Flint, Michigan; they also made the OEM-installed headers for the DOHC 16-valve fuel-injected Cosworth-Vega in 1975-76.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode