Thoughts on SS clones - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 01, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Arrow

Hey guys, just wanted your input on SS clones. I am looking at one now, orange with white stripes, spoiler, ss grille, ss hood, ss steering wheel, overall, pretty nice. Until I saw this one, I didn't think that I wanted a "pretend" SS, however, I am changing my mind because I really like the looks of the car. I would be happy with it and that is the most important things but I thought I would get some other opinions on SS clones. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 01, 06:19 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about clones.I know they have the great look that we all want,and as long as the car is not misrepresented it's OK,but that's where the problem lies.I'm not implying that you would do this,but I've seen clones being passed off as originals at shows and it whisses me off!!And then there's the re-sale issue.Again,I'm not pointing a finger at you,but what about the guy you sell it to?(if you decide to sell it)What's stopping him from selling it as an original to someone who knows no better?We've batted this topic around here before so I won't continue.I guess the bottom line is,if you like the car and would be happy with it,buy it,but make sure you don't misrepresent it at any time.

------------------
HDZ/28
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 01, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Sorry to post a duplicate, if anyone knows the names of the other discussions, please let me know and I will take a look at them.
I myself would not try to pass it off as a real SS, for one thing, I wouldn't want to sound ingnorant when all someone has to do is look at the cowl tag. Besides, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I cheated someone like that. I would just hope that a clone would be appreciated as a good looking camaro and not looked at as just an impostor. Thanks

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 01, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Cool

I myself own a 69 Z28 "Clone". I for one do not say it is a true Z28. I like having a clone, because I can do anything I want to it and it will increase the value instead of worrying about originality and the decrease in value if I changed an "original". Do what YOU want and enjoy.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock, hooker, ultradyne,
TRW etc.
700R4 TPI transmission
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 01, 12:52 AM

Interesting point, never thought of that myself.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 01, 07:13 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

TSJ69 I agree 100% I'm building a 69 396 clone.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 01, 09:47 AM
Senior Tech
John

I agree with statements above too. Get whatever you are happy with. A clone is also nice in that if you decide to put aftermarket parts in, you aren't dropping the value of a matching numbers car like TJS69 said. Just don't try to dupe someone into thinking it is the real deal and I think you are ok. Cheers!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 01, 02:22 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

My feelings are only use the SS badges if your car is built to at least SS standards. I purchased a 69 conv. that I am pretty sure was a plainjane 6 cyl. but had a 350 dropped into it along with the full complemement of SS badges. I would not feel right keeping these badges on except I am rebuilding the car to surpass even todays SS standards. This includes suspension, powerplant, and drive train. But never ever under any circumstances misrepresent what your car actually is. Just my two cents worth.

bob spears

------------------
http://www.racehome.com/images/camaros/bspearslfront-sm.jpg
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 01, 02:46 PM
Senior Tech

I personally don't think it should be done at all. Only because I see so many cars for sale that are mis-represented. Muscle cars these days seem to change hands alot and after a couple times who knows what the seller is telling people. Erik
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 01, 05:06 PM
Senior Tech

Well I have to agree with all that I have read, but here is my view. I have built many a Clone SS, Z-28 and even RS. If you take an LA built car that has no X-code then put in the correct parts ie:, casting numbers, dates, fuel lines,12 bolt, 2 piece brake lines, and the rest of the correct SS pieces down to the welded on rear frame dual exhaust mount, then what you have is a SS that did not come off the assembly line. Yet in every way it is technically correct with the exception of numbers matching vin. Is this car now any different than a "Real" SS that is being sold with out numbers matching? Don't get me wrong I NEVER state that my "Clones" are real, but I dare most to tell me they can tell different.If the car is nice and you like it, and the price is in your budget, then you are most likely to buy it whether it is real or not. right? Just my view.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 01, 05:16 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Thumbs up

I can see both sides of the debate, but to me, when it comes down to it, it's your car and you can do whatever you want to it.

Isn't that what "car crafting" is all about?

Just don't falsely represent it!

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
Pro-Touring.com DropTop
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 01, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

If a person is going to drop some big bucks on any muscle car be it Camaro, Corvette etc. he should do his homework on what he is buying, or pay someone that knows.Personally if I was looking to buy any muscle car as an investment it better have all the documentation such as build sheet,protecto plate etc. otherwise regardless what seller says as far as I,m concerned it aint real just another clone like mine and 70% of the others out there
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 01, 08:51 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Personally I dislike "cloning" altogether. I understand why people do it, but at some point a cloned car will be misrepresented to an unsuspecting buyer, maybe not by the person that cloned it to begin with, but down the line. I don't even now why or when the word "clone" made it okay to copy these cars. But whatever you do, buy a car that you are happy with, don't buy it because you think others will like it. I agree with Mr. C when he says 70% of the cars out there are not legit. I'd guess it's higher than that even. It's really sad when I look at lots of these cars and the owners truly believe they have an SS, RS or Z/28 and many, many of them aren't aware they were ripped off. I don't try to correct them, they're better off not hearing it from me. I prefer to look for the car that is a special car and may not be represented as one, where you've got to dig to find out just what you've got. that's rewarding to me. So follow your heart and get what you'll enjoy, just don't misrepresent it. Funny that ppeople are comfortable hearing there car called a clone, but call it illegitimate and they come unglued, to me it's the same thing.

[This message has been edited by SY1 (edited 10-30-2001).]
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 06:47 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Truthfully, if you put wings on it and called it an airplane, that's your business. Your money bought it ... you want to enjoy it ... do what you please. The controversy and frustration come into play when people intentionally misrepresent things and try to sell them at inflated prices... We all want to get "our money's worth" and we all want to get what we geniunely think we are buying. Afterwards, the vast majority of us make mechanical and cosmetic changes to our cars that make them look and perform better. It's an ego thing to say "This is MY car". Go ahead and stroke your ego ... Satifaction and peace of mind cannot be cloned ... DO what makes you feel good ...
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 08:04 AM
Senior Tech
Dan

Send a message via AIM to DanCamm
I agree that excellent points can and have been made from both sides, but in the end, the most important thing is for any potential buyer to do the research and ask the questions. I believe that in most cases, a buyer would be able to find out with 99% certainty the originality of any car just by doing the homework and extra research. I'd say if I was about to shell out 25-30K for a car, I'd do everything I could to verify the originality, not just take the seller's word.

------------------
Dan Camm
1969 Daytona Yellow RS/SS
"Gentlemen, lets spike the punch"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode