What else can i do to make it faster???? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 01, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Question

look in my sig, what other options do i have to make this car faster? do carburated cars have chips in them? i dont think so, but let me know. how bout pullies? anything else?

------------------
my cousin has a 86 IROC with a 350 crate motor,3.73s, flowmaster, shift kit, automatic--- i just do the research for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 01, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech
John

www.procharger.com

Try that!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 01, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Cam, nitrous, better flowing heads, there's alot that will work even with the computer.

The 86 V8's were computer controlled. The quadrajet carbs had metering rods that were actuated by the computer and the advance curve is also controlled by the computer - I don't know if they ever made a chip for these cars or not.

Personally, I'd stay away from pulleys - I've heard horror stories about overheating and charging problems.

You can only get so much out of bolt on parts - the serious changes (like I mentioned above) will really wake her up.

------------------
68 Camaro, 383 small block with TH350 trans. 11.98's at 111mph and never trailered.

[This message has been edited by Eric68 (edited 10-30-2001).]

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 01, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

so let me get this strait, eventhough it has a totally different engine, you think that it is computer controlled? how can i tell? we plan on a 125 shot of NOS, and maybe the only other mod right now that we can think of would be some head porting and if im not mistaken, the crate engines come with stock rockers--so maybe a set of 1.6s would add a little lift to the cam and make horses?

------------------
my cousin has a --- 86 IROC with a 350 crate motor,3.73s, flowmaster, T-tops, shift kit, Holly 650 carb., automatic, 94 Trans Am seats--- i just do the research for him.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 01, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

Try a new Race Demon 750 carb. Get that dialed in and you'll see some sweet 1/4 mile times.

------------------
Stock 67 327 RS
www.angelfire.com/ca7/goatjjcamarors/index.html
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 10:16 AM

Speed is a question of money...

How much do you have and how fast do you want to go???

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Arrow

we wanna keep it realistic too, not $2500 for a super charger, just something that we can do here and there to make it move down the track. so anything up to like $1000 or so is good. how about traction adders, got any ideas?

------------------
my cousin has a --- 86 IROC with a 350 crate motor,3.73s, flowmaster, T-tops, shift kit, Holly 650 carb., automatic, 94 Trans Am seats--- i just do the research for him.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 01:06 PM
Senior Tech

Id stuff a big block in there once you go rat you never go back

------------------
The pike.net Pics of my 68
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 04:32 PM
Senior Tech
John

what kind of cam and heads have you got? For traction, are you running subframe connectors?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

im not sure of the cam specs, or the heads, just that it came as a complete long block, so whatever is in there. no sub frames yet---they will come in the spring too, dont want the frame to get twisted with that 125 NOS shot. but do i need to get control arms, etc...?

------------------
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 01, 04:04 AM
Tech Team

Question

if the car still has a computer, and it is working properly, when you tinker with the things that the comp controles you might be messing with the transmission. i know i sound like a babbling fool, but here's what i'm talking about. the computer controles the carburator, all of the emissions crap and the transmission. if you mess with the carb, the computer might get the wrong idea, and tell the tranny to do funny things. i compleetly eliminated the computer's input by just disconnecting everything that it controles (this was on an 83 camaro btw. if you get a new carb, you cant just stop there, as there are other loose ends that need to be dealt with.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 01, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys, keep the ideas coming....we really appreciate it!

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode