Parking her on carpet - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have half my garage carpeted, on which I park on of the 69's.

Brother-in-law comes by,..70 Mach-1 guy (nice car) and claims it's a bad idea to park a car on carpet because the carpet holds moisture and will prematurely rust my floor-boards.

Damn...he might be right...(but he still can't beat the L-48 69 SS M-20 with 12 bolt and 3.73's).

Anyway, the carpet thing...news to me. Should I pull it up? Austin TX is would be 7.5 on the humidity scale (1 being Phoenix, 10 Houston).

Thanks for the advice!

[This message has been edited by Sleepy-69 (edited 10-31-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 04:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Pick up an inexpensive humidity gauge from Wal-Mart, etc. and compare the difference between under the car with the carpet and on the bare floor elsewhere in the garage. My guess, this is not a problem, but that is purely an opinion.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 05:58 AM
Senior Tech
frank

I think he is right. If there is no vapor barrier in the floor to start wiht all the ground moisture will collect in the carpet. If you drive in wet , the carpet will hold the water for some time. Much better to use something to hold ground moisture out and easy to wipe up when you drive on it. IMO

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 06:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

You've got a point about the driving in wet part.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 07:11 AM
Senior Tech

I coated the concrete under my 70 in the garage with Thompsons Water Seal Ultra to create a vapor barrier. Cant really say how good it works because that is kind of hard to determine, but it was a cheap and easy project and can't hurt.

------------------
1970 mostly original
307,TH350
F41
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 07:34 AM

Wink

Personally, I keep a sheet of 1/2" drywall under mine when storing for the winter... it will absorb any moisture and keeps it off the car.
Cheers
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 07:48 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

He's right...a concrete slab gives off moisture and it goes right up into the car unless you put a plastic vapor barrier down. The carpet will hold that moisture under your car. I got two eight foot lenghts of 2x10's, laid them down flat at the width of the wheelbase, parallel to the length of the car, the stapled plastic across them, then drive the car on. This vapor barrier will allow the moisture to escape from the slab, but also return without going into your car.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 08:22 AM

put a plastic sheet over the carpet for the winter, if moisture develops under the sheet (you'll see it) then the carpet probably isn't the best idea, if not, then I don't think there's enough moisture for it to make a difference.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 09:18 AM
Senior Tech

I had some indoor outdoor carpet under my race vette just because it was warmer to lay on and work on the car. It didn't seem to pick up any moisture but my garage floor is never damp either. If you think about it without some sort of moisture barrier it should attract moisture.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The car is never driven in the rain and is towel dried after washes.

I hate to give up the carpet...makes crawling around under the car much easier on my old bones.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 01:34 PM
Senior Tech

Lay plastic down, and get 4 sheets of 1/4x4x8 plywood. Lay plywood on top of the plastic, and then put your carpet down on top the plywood. Also wouldn't hurt to get a dehumidifer.

------------------
NOTHING LIKE A 69 !!!!!

[This message has been edited by Pat's 69's (edited 10-31-2001).]
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 03:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Since I was about the only one that said "no problem". When I got home tonight I pulled back the piece of carpet in my garage and it seemed as dry as a bone. However, my garage is attached to the house and I have a Heat/AC vent from the house. I'm sure this makes a big difference.

I think we all agree that the carpet is a lot nicer to lay on when turning some wrenches.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 01, 04:58 AM
Senior Tech
Brian Cooper

I think the amount of moisture retained is going to be negligable here. I plan to use old carpet in my shop. The humidity held in will have little to no affect on a car that is well maintained anyway.

------------------
57 Plymouth Savoy in my family since new, just cosmetically restored, 93 S-10 waiting on the 80 Dodge Lil' red Express clone truck to be built then one s_10 for sale, Angie's mechanic and designated Vette cusser.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 01, 05:31 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Unless you have a river running through your garage, I'd just leave the carpet.

------------------
Black 69 camaro
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 01, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech

Just to check out this humidity theory..I went out to my garage and placed a digital temp/humidity gauge under the car on the concrete..(It was raining last night and the temp was in the 60*F in the garage)..Humidity was at 35%..I then placed the gauge on a shelf the temp stayed the same the humidity went down to 32%...Both reading..I believe were good or should I say dry enough...But to be safe I placed a dehumidifier on a timer in the garage..It turns on at 7pm and runs untill the humidity either drops below 25% or Shuts off at 7am....Any thoughts on this set up...good luck

------------------
Restored 76 LE Trans Am 455 4 speed..# matching
-------------------------
Restored 68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected
http://community.webshots.com/user/badcaiman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode