anyone have 350 horsepower 327? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 01, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

do any of you guys have a 350/327? i just wanted to know a bit about them. do they have a rough idle? what would be the best converter and gears? i know the compression was kinda high on them, can they run on pump gas? when does the power start to happen (2000-2500 rpm)? thanks for the input guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 01, 04:54 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

bad

I've got my own 'homemade' version of the 350 horse 327. specs are here: https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum4/HTML/002766.html

It has a bit of a lope to the idle but nothing radical. It still has good vacuum although I have manual brakes. I've got a 4-speed so can't recommend a converter. I would recommend a 4-speed though. I've got a 4.10 posi right now which is a bit too much for daily driving, but it does set you back in the seat. I think something in the 3.40-3.50 range would be just about right as far as gearing goes. It does have the 11:1 trw's so I mix 110 octane race gas with 91 octane unleaded (can't find 93 around here). I mix it 1 gallon to 3 gallons of 91 which 'in theory' raises it to 95-96 octane. And like you said, the real power starts around 2500 rpm and pulls well up to 6000.

You could get more from a 350 with the same parts, but I still love 327's. Just something about them...

Mark
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 01, 06:31 AM
Senior Tech

The 350HP is basicly the same engine as the rest of the 60s high performance 327s. It has a hydro. cam that really is outdated by modern grinds. The idle isn't bad but there really isn't a lot of low speed torque to make an automatic work. I had a 340HP engine that I detonated to death on 92oct you might think about a little less compression. The basic engine is fine with a couple of changes.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 01, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I have it on a TH350 equipped car, and would not recommend it should anyone ask me about it. It has very low torque values below 3500 to 4000 RPM. Its a very peaky cam, with most HP and torque being built above 4K and quitting by 6K. According to Desktop Dyno the cam barely makes the advertized 350 HP and does it at about 5700 RPM in my otherwise stock motor. It starts out at something like 150 ft lbs torque @ 2000 and build up to about 330 peak. I run a 2400 stall speed converter, and the car will idle at 700 RPM with a lope. It runs between 13 and 15 inches of mecury in park. I've never been able to get rid of a rich smelling exhaust with this cam using both Holley and Rochester carbs. There are plenty of more modern cam profiles that aremuch better than this one. Start looking at the Comp or cram cams in the 252 to 258 series(which are around 206 to 215 @050 range), or get a roller cam, in the 215 @ .050 or less duration range (ZZ4 or ZZ9 style).

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 01, 07:18 AM
Senior Tech

I hve a home built 350 hp 327. Here's how I did it. Crane 266 cam Edelbrock 600 carb, Perfomer intake, ported heads 9.5 compression, and headers. The car idles perfect and runs great. However it really doesn't start to pull untill above 3000 RPM. I currently have a stock TH 350 trans and am looking atgetting a 2,000 stall converter. If you are looking at cams for a 327 the best street driving cam is a crane or comp cams 260. Both will produce 350 HP with he right add ons but will make better torque than te spike type of cams.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 01, 01:05 PM

Smile

The 350hp/327 used the -151 cam, (222 duration at .050" and .447" lift). It also had a 585cfm Holley w/ a factory high rise on it, the big fuelie style heads and the 11 to 1 CR. I think the exhaust was 2.5" manifolds, I know the rams-horns in the Duece were this big but don't know about the Chevelle log type?. It came stock w/ a 12 bolt and 3.73".

I knew a guy that had a '66 Duece coupe w/ this setup and a four speed. I used to love to watch the little bugger run through the gears at about a city block to a block and a half away b/c it just used ta raise up at each shift and take off like a rocket. Man, did it run!!! Thats what I wanted but was too late in'66 for me to order one and I didn't know that the '67 325hp/327 engine was the same engine but w/ a Q-Jet and cast-iron intake or I would have one now instead of my SS/RS. My Mom cried when she saw my "radically looking" Camaro the night we picked it up in Dec. '66.

We came outta the service area back to the showroom and she said that she thought I was buying the '67, 275hp/327 Blue Duece coupe setting there in front of us! I told her no b/c I couldn't get the L-79 engine in the '67 Duece. The rest is history. pdq67

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 01, 02:19 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

dont forget about head work,

Nothing beats good head(s)

heheheh

------------------

Chris's 67 RS 327, Comp280,Flowmasters,shoddy interior, pepboys carpet and rusty floors and trunk can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode