which trans ???? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 01, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

What would be the better trans to use behind a warm up 454 in a 67 with a 4.11 rear

400th or a 700r4
the will see some highway use as well as some strip use.

what about a converter with the o/d wouldn't burn up ???? or do I even need one with 4.11 and the torque of the BB ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 01, 09:13 AM
Tech Team

that depends on just how much power you plan on making. the 700 can take some pretty searious abuse, as long as you dont get too wild. a stock 700 just wont work.... for ling anyway. if you want a 700 that will last a long time you wil need to get one from someplace like JET or TCI. the tall gear of the 700 will make it seem like you have more power than you realy do. so you could go just as fast in the 1/4 with less power if you use a 700r4... see what i'm saying? i read an article in carcraft (i think) a while ago about a guy with a 65 chevelle, 502 and a 200r4. so o-d trannys will hold. i would asume that a well built 700 r4 would be good for 500 foot lbs of torque... maybe more. over all i would go with the 700 any day. not that a 400 is a bad tranny (by no means am i saying that), but you cant get enough of that low first gear and that 30 percent overdrive. just my personal opinion... i'm sure you will get a lot of opinions.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 01, 02:26 PM
Senior Tech
John

I have heard that the big rpm drop caused by the wide gear ratio spread of the 1-2 shift in the 700 trans will cause slower ETs. The overdrive is nice though.

The 200-4R gives a slightly closer ratio on the 1-2 shift and also gives just a little steeper overdrive.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 04:28 PM

Unless you own an oil company,if you're married to those 4:11's,you NEED an overdrive tranny!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 01, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

those 4.11's are still in the catalog,I'll problably drop to a 3.73 or 3.55 since I'll be pulling the small block!

------------------
drive it like you stole it!!!
67 327 11:1 4spd.
70 454 400thm 10 bolt posi
my camaros
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode