red glowing headers??? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 01:06 PM
rogleete

ok this is something i haven't ever seen and maybe its ok but i just pulled up in the car and popped the hood and its dark outside and the headers were glowing dull red on the 2 inside tubes on both sides....tell me this is normal!!
-roger

------------------
'69 SS, 355 9.7:1, ported twisted wedge allum. heads, .454/.480 cam, 9" rear 3.89 gears, 700r4, hooker mufflers (nothin sounds/flows better)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 01:46 PM
Senior Tech

yeah, my buddys olds does that all the time....ive gotta check mine out at night sometime.

------------------
The pike.net Pics of my 68
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 01:49 PM
Stephen Dale

How long had you been driving? What is the wall thickness of your pipes? Were you running at high RPM? If you were only going a short distance at low-mid RPM it would indicate excess fuel, get it checked with a gas anylizer. No it's not normal with quality headers.

------------------

67 Nemesix

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 02:01 PM
Tech Team

Lightbulb

According to my IR temp guage the two inside cylinders are reading 550 to 575, so yes at nite IM sure they would glow. Still have to fire her up at nite to see. Pretty sure its normal. Didnt want to fire her up in summer darkness, but its something I want to see soon.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 02:05 PM
Tech Team

Exclamation

That reading is off the header tube.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 02:07 PM
rogleete

ok the headers are brand new, dynomax ceramic coat. but yes i was running high rpm. the carb is running rich though..need to get the fixed.
it wasn't a bright glow..but bright enough to see..it was a big shock because i had never seen that and panic was running through my mind because at first i saw it on the driver side..which still makes a small tick noise after i just got done putting the new heads on and adjusting the valvetrain. so i thought maybe it was related. but then i went to the other side and it was glowing the same...i guess it only was glowing on the inner tubes because there right next to each other and the heat just transfers accross the 2. on the side..this tick i have isn't loud. but i noticed the dynomax headers practically touch the steering box.. so i need to dent it in, there is like a hair clearance..perhaps when the motor is on it shakes and hits the steering box but i have solid motor mounts...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 02:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Also make sure your timing isn't too retarded.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 03:13 PM
Tech Team

I have the same headers and I know what you mean by the driver's side tube hitting the steering box. Mine basically touches. I have always been worried that it is transfering heat to the steering box and causing some kind of damage. I have never seen mine glow, however I can't remember the last time I looked when it was dark

I also wonder if it can eventually wear a hole in the tube over time. Probably....is bending it the only option? Anyone know of a different pair of headers for a 327 that don't touch the steering box?

Leftcoast

------------------
'67 Camaro 327
Edelbrock intake & carb, dynomax headers & exhaust, TH350, Hotchkis suspension, cowl induction
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 03:25 PM
Senior Tech

I may be wrong but this happened to me in the past and i was told the exaust valve could be to tight.I loosened it and it went away.Also could be a lean condition or timing issue.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 04:08 PM

This happened to me once many,many years ago.It turned out to be a timing problem-retarded(like me at the time).Once a friend straightened my sorry butt out on how to really set the timing,no more glow-in-the-dark tubes.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

Sounds to me like you have a vacume leek. Have you had the intake off recently? I have only seen the headers on a car glow red twice in my life and both times i resealed the intake and that cured it.
I hope this helps,
Nick

------------------
69 Z/28 X77 D80 81000 original miles,DZ 302, M-21, BU 373 Rear End, ZL-2 Ducted Hood, Daytona Yellow, Black Deluxe, Tilt, Factory AM/FM, Console Gauges.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 05:57 PM
Tech Team

Thumbs up

usually indicates a timing problem but the rich condition will also contribute what is you timing running at? check it out . I wraped my steering box with a thermal blanket the kind you get for a starter I think it helps
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 08:25 PM

I recall reading about this same topic some time ago on this board. A search may be worth a try to see if you can find it if you want extra input from others at that time.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 08:27 PM

https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/004585.html

Above is the URL for the thread I was referring to. Hope it works.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 01, 06:06 AM
rogleete

The timing is set at 12 intitial
that shouldn't be retarded in any way
total is 36
the glow was extremely faint..like a really dull orange, and it faded away fairly quick within a minute or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode