Center dash vent - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 01, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Question

My 68 is originaly a non A/C car and it soon gonna have one , "here the Sun never rest". As a non A/C it didn't have the center dash vent, I can order that part but is there something behind it needed to connect the hoses? I haven't seen anything else in all my catalogs. For now the proyect is on hold cause of the lack of the center vent & Delco compressor mounting kit for the left or right side of the engine. One more question, what I have to look for to compensate for the RPMs lost while the A/C is on, that I can instal on a Holley 600 with vac secs. I don't want to increase the idle speed too much to have the right idle speed with the A/C on. Any info on where to find the needed parts will be apreciated.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 01, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

My guess would be the center finisher with the vent diffuser, then the "funnel" behind it with its flexible ductwork connected to maybe, its own outlet from the heater box, unless GM y'ed from an existing duct.

A body manual would be worth it s weight in gold now.

Somebody else here may have a good suggestion.

There is an electric solenoid bolted to the right front carb, Q-jet, has its own mounting holes, 2 of them, or Holley, bolted to the front left carb bolt, and when A/C compressor clutch comes on, this solenoid energzies to kick up the idle to compensate for load.

Hope this helps,

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 01, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Thumbs up

Delco compressor mounting kit already found. Altho no trace of the center dash vent.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 01, 09:36 AM
Senior Tech

I may have an extra

it may take a week or two to get out of storage. I'm gonna start working on the car when the snow gets flyin'

Email me if you need it
John
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 01, 11:57 AM
Senior Tech

What you need is the black plastic duct assembly that the chrome center AC vent screws onto. I just installed Vintage Air in my 67 and attached it to factory-style vents. I did not realize I needed this part until after I started the installation. The chrome center vent sort of snaps onto this plastic duct and the whole assembly goes in from behind the dash. The two screws then go in from the front of the dash and screw into the plastic duct, sandwiching the chrome vent between the dash and the plastic duct. Originally, an oval-shaped rubber hose connected to the other end of the plastic duct to the main airbox distribution ducts. If you are installing Vintage Air, you will need another adapter from them that will adapt the oval plastic duct to their round flexible hoses. The plastic duct is only available used and is pretty pricey for what it is. Ricks First Generation has it for (I think) $45 or $50. It is part number AC-74 and is on page 45 of their 2001 catalog. You have to call for the price. The first one I recieved had a broken mounting tab, so I had to send it back and have them send me another one.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone

My 1967 Camaro
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 01, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Thumbs up

Thanks to all that replied. Justin, I just ordered that duct part ($45) and the vent from Rick's. They didn't mentioned nothing about being used but I'm in a rush to install the A/C that I really don't care if it's so. I'll check the condition as soon as I receive the part.
Thanks

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 11-08-2001).]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 01, 05:48 PM
Tech Team

Get an assembly manual, well worth the money. My RS was missing it's under dash ducting when I bot it. These parts are only available used, Rick's is the best source. It also needs flex tubing running from the defuser to all 3 ducts. The 2 outside vents use round flex tubing and the center duct uses oval ducting, I cant remember the exact sizes. Your local NAPA store has this flex ducting, for very cheap. It is in the air cleaner section as it is the same as later model cars use for fresh air under the hood. Hope this helps
JA

------------------
John P. Allen
Sunnyvale Ca.
68 RS, 327 w- A/C
70 Buick GS455 Convertible

[This message has been edited by pakual (edited 11-08-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode