tools needed - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 01, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Hi,
I just bought a camaro, and I want to buy Craftsman tools to work and maintain the camaro here. Which set of tools do I have to buy ? Remember i don't have any English metric tools. I will do what you tell me.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 01, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Yes i forgot... I plan to find some used jack stands here.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 01, 12:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Congratulations. What did you buy?

I would suggest getting one of their package deals - sockets, wrenches, ratchets, etc. The savings are significant over buying individual or small combination sets. Also, a torque wrench, timing light, small mirror and magnetic pickup tool. I'm sure others will 'help you'. Keep us posted.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 01, 12:21 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

A good start would be one of Craftsman's 150 to 250 piece starter sets. There's one in the paper for $230.Includes a lot of SAE and metric. Or you could buy individual socket sets and various tools on sale. YOu will want deep well and standard sockets in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive.
You'll also need a torque wrench (probably 1/2") and a set of vice grips and channel locks.

I've been collecting Craftsman stuff for 25 years, and I still check the paper or stop into the tool dept. regularly.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 01, 12:34 PM

Smile

All nuts and bolts on a first generation Camaro are American or English "inch" type. The newer Camaro's hve both "metric" (mm type) and inch type on them.

My own tools consist of both so that I can work on anything!

I have sets of 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" sizes although my 3/4" set is just a cheap set from China. Short and deep well sockets, open and closed or "box-in" wrenches from 1/4" to 1-1/4" and metric equivalent. Adjustable "Crescent Wrenches", all sorts of pliers (slip-joint, channel-loc's and "Vice-grip's" as well as electrical type wire pliers.

Also the usual hammers, chisels and punches, screw-drivers (straight blade, four sided Phillips type and a few "torex" or "star-type"), a 3/8" sized sets of socket type "Allen wrenches" and "Torex wrenches", too.

Please note that my tools are a hodge-podge mixture of good ones like the Craftsman's as well as quality ones of other brands that I have been gathering together since I was 15 years old (now 54).

I still buy a single tool or an odd set of them every chance that I get when I have some extra money b/c I will spend the money anyway and this way I will have something to show for it. You know that they last forever unless they are stolen or lost!!

I buy my tools from retale stores when they go on sale as well as from "neighborhood garage" sales and "flea-market" type sales places and have even bought some from "Pawn-Shops".

I recently aquired some of my father-in-laws tools after he passed away when we lost my Mother-in-law for keep-sakes. I even have a couple of my fathers tools since when I lost him at 14 years old.

I guess what I am trying to say is that building a good set off tools is a lifetime's commitment. And it is generally a GUY'S THING!!

Good luck with your search for your set. pdq67

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 01, 01:45 PM
Jeff

MARC are you in the military by chance if so The Exchange now carries Crasftman tools and their cataog carries a wide varity of name brand performance parts from Carbs/intakes to rims and tires. Check them out if your military. besides remember AAFES = to no sales tax

Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 01, 01:57 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Marc,

One tool that I call essential for tuning is a Vacuum gauge. Everyone else has hit all of the other tools.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 01, 02:12 PM
Senior Tech

Just don't tell Sears you're in the military...then a single wrench, for example will cost you roughly $500.00.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 01, 02:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Hey cavemate,
I liked your last response, being retired Navy I can relate to what you are saying. Marc lives in Belguim, so I doubt he has access to the Exchange, but Ghant and Brugge are great cities

------------------
Looking for 67 project car!!!!!

[This message has been edited by cpodeep (edited 11-11-2001).]
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 01, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Thank you everybody!
I 'll try to find and buy that on the web and ship it to the shop where the car stays now.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 01, 05:34 AM
Senior Tech

When buying sockets, I prefer the 6 point (sided) version...not 12 point. Your old car will have many bolts and nuts with which you'll need to get aggressive and the 6 pointers won't strip anything. Good luck!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 01, 07:05 AM
Senior Tech

Hey Marc,Im just around the corner in Germany .I go to the car show in Belgium!and besides that I'm a tool salesman.if you want to talk tools,rods or anything else for that matter give me a post and I will give you my e-mail add.Later
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 01, 07:06 AM
Senior Tech

I have found a foam can cooler to be an invaluable tool when working on mine!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 01, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

I suggest and oil drilling rig.
What does gas cost in Belgium? In Canada it is 65 cents a litre. 4.5 litres to the Canadian gallon.

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 01, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Talking

Marc, I have noticed your postings looking for a Camaro. Which one did you finally get? and from where?

Good luck and welcome to the group!

joe

------------------
69 SS396 Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode