Z/28 / JL8 question - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 01, 06:23 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Yes, the JL8 used the 4 piston calipers but they were mounted with different brackets than the 67/68 cars. Every piece to the JL8 brake system is unique and expensive. I know of around 12-13 documented JL8 cars. The crossram is a natural fit with the JL8 since the JL8 option was really for racing purposes.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 01, 04:55 AM
Gold Member
Todd

Talking

I have a friend that keeps claiming he has a JL8 car and that its a COPO 427 to boot!
I guess I'm going to have to go look now and see what he's really got. What does the original JL8 cars have thats different he's
told me before the calipers front are different from 67/68 and the mount brackets.
I guess I'll have to dig up Camaro Untold Secrets and take a look I remember pictures in detail of the whole JL8 setup.
Does anyone know of big-block JL8 cars or COPO's being built?
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 01, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

I thought there was a dealer in CA that had a 396 Pace Car that is claimed to have the JL8 brakes, but I don't think it has documentation. I thought the special black/gold ZL1 that GM built for taking to shows or to show what they could build had the JL8 brakes as well.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 01, 12:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
The Pace car that the Ca. Dealer had was a put together JL8 L78 car.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 01, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

I called about an RS SS 350 convertible that sounded like it had the JL8 option. The guy said he bought it from the original owner who raced slalom with it. He had the original paperwork and pictures of the car in a newspaper from the 70's. He kept telling me it cost over $5,000 new and that it had the disk brakes on it. I was on vacation and wasn't paying attention, so by the time I got back home and realized what it was, it was already sold. The car was Frost green with black deluxe interior but had repainted orange. It had power windows, tilt, gauges, M21. I wonder who's got it now? The guy was only asking $25,000.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...9124&a=8603468
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 01, 07:50 AM
Senior Tech
William

The orange/orange JL8 car I had in the '70s was sold to a guy from Florida. He was building a JL8 Z11. Don't know what happened to it.

I remembered another JL8 car we had in storage for awhile. It was - - paint, black custom interior, X77, seemed to always be Dusk blue. Nice car, came out of Colorado.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 10, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech
z-28-mc

Re: Z/28 / JL8 question

I just bought a 69 z/28 hugger orange that has 4 wheel disc brakes on it and I am trying to find out if they are the real deal. The car only has 16,300 miles on it.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 10, 06:09 PM
Senior Tech
z-28-mc

What is the code for the jl8 calipers?
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 10, 07:56 AM
Guess

This might help... found it in the archives:
SHORT JL8 four wheel disc steering arms, 1969 Z/28 Heat Treated, Shot Peened, (probably short) LH 3916237, RH-3916238

JL8 brakes use a rotor that is 1.25" thick.

The JL8 rear calipers weren't clocked to the front OR to the rear, they were almost straight up at the top. Do a search and look for some pictures

Here's a post with pictures: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...t=jl8+calipers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 10, 04:23 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
The JL8 rear calipers weren't clocked to the front OR to the rear, they were almost straight up at the top. Do a search and look for some pictures

Here's a post with pictures: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...t=jl8+calipers

Well, they were slightly clocked so that the bleeder screw was at the highest point. Even with that they were a pig to bleed and required pressure bleeding to get all the air out.

The centers of the rear calipers were like at 11 and 1 o'clock as the pictures show in the link provided by Joe.

alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode