Doug Thorley headers - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 01, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

I bouight a set of tri-y Thorley headers for my 67 350. The header on the drivers side fits good, 1/4" clearance on the steering box and 1/4" clearance on the oil filter.
My problem is that the collector flange on the other side hits them floor pan. To the best of my knowledge I'm useing the correct motor mounts and cross member tower mounts.
The tranny crossmember was hooked to a Saginaw 3 speed originally and this is what I'm now useing with a super t-10. I was told that this crossmember should work. Is there a different crossmember that would lower the trans. tail about 1/2'-1' thus dropping the collector flange down away from the floor pan?
I've only got about 1/4' of clearance between my HEI dist. and the firewall at this time. Do I need to go to a different dist. if I drop the tranny tail?
Thanks
Brian

[This message has been edited by tdks (edited 11-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by tdks (edited 11-13-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 01, 08:11 AM
mwh
Senior Tech
Marc

The collector on the pass side of my Thorley tri-y hit the floor pan as well. We chained it to the floor and wrenched on it a bit. We pulled it down abuot 1/2", and that seemed to do the trick. Does your collector line up with the "bump" in the crossmember?

-Marc
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 01, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Marc,
The passenger side collector does not line up with the hump on the crossmember. The collector on the drivers side is going to be close.
Your method might be the best solution. It seems like a shame to have to bend up an expensive Thorley header to make it fit, but sometimes it ends up as the best solution.
Brian

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 01, 10:40 AM
CJ
Senior Tech
Cris

What kind of shape are your sub-frame bushings in? My Thorleys have about 1/2 inch between the floor and collector. They were touching before I rebuilt the entire sub-frame.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 01, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

New polygraphite frame bushings throughout.
I pulled the trans. bushing out to drop the tail shaft of the trans.and everything cleared the floor pan fine. With the trans. tail down about 5/8",pinion angle still looks ok but now my HEI dist. hits the firewall. I might have to change to a Mallory dist. in the future. I think the smaller dimmensions of the Mallory will allow me some slack between the firewall and the dist.
I still need to mfg. a thinner trans rubber mount to give me the 5/8" drop that I need.
It sure seems like a lot of hassle just to get a set of headers to fit, but I don't really know what else to do at this time.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 01, 03:55 PM
mwh
Senior Tech
Marc

Yeah, stupid me bought them uncoated and had them jet-hot coated before I fit them. Obviously, once you've coated them, you've bought 'em, otherwise I would have sent them back. My subframe bushings (rubber) are brand new as well.

I can't tell you how scared I was when we were wrenching on the pass. side header. I was just waiting for either the header bolts to let go or something bad like that. There's a lot of spring in them, so you really have to put the pressure on to move them. Not something I want to repeat. Did you buy Doug Thorley headers or Header's by Doug? I had never realized there was a difference, but apparently they are two different companies.

-Marc
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 01, 04:13 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I love it when this comes up!! Doug's is Doug Thorley and Thorley is not!! It seems Doug Thorley sold out to his partner (maybe his wife or ex)! The partner got the name Thorley because it was an established business. Doug moved down the street (so to speak) and opened Doug's...

If you read a little of the "about us" on the Thorley web site you'll see there may be a lot more to the story...
www.thorleyheaders.com
www.dougsheaders.qpg.com

The tri-y's are Thorleys I believe..

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode