Fixing muffler bracket bolts on 68 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 01, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

I am trying to install a Flowmaster American Thunder dual exhaust system on my 68 Camaro. This system uses existing exhaust mounting points. I see the two (2)originald threaded inserts in the floor of the car, just in front of the rear end on the drivers side. On the passenger side I see two (2)rather large holes (as if for some type of grommet) and two much smaller holes (don't know what they are for) but no threaded holes to hold a muffler bracket. To add insult to injury I don't see any way to gain easy access to this area (there appears to be a floor above the large holes). Does anyone have any idea what type of clip/speednut is supposed to be fitted in there? If there is no easy way to repair this with a factory speednut/part, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to bolt the muffler bracket on?

Thanks for any help.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 01, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Factory used a hex head sheet metal screw, there should be the same in driver's side, passenger side is a mirror image.

I reread your post, sorry, yes, there are swaged nuts pressed in the bracket, pass side is the same, except no threads, car did not come with dual exhaust, so why put them in?

One may be able to pry the bracket away from the floorboard alittle and place a nut on the other side with a wrench and use this route or use a large sheet metal screw.

-----------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

[This message has been edited by Everett#2390 (edited 11-16-2001).]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 01, 02:41 AM
Senior Tech

Palehorse,

I installed the American Thunder system on my 67 3 years ago.

My car was originally a six cylinder, so it did not have the threaded inserts on the passenger side of the car either. I just used a large sheetmetal screw (I think they may have been included in the exhaust kit, but I can't remember for sure) and cinched it up tight. I drive the car daily (it's my only car), it's been 3 years, and I haven't had any problems....they are still tight.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone

My 1967 Camaro

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 01, 03:17 AM
Senior Tech
John

I drilled new holes in both the floor and the bracket and welded some nuts in the floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode