speedo cable routing, and clips - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 01, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Hello I'm trying to resolve some speedo problems, currently my cable is routed incorrectly. Can anyone please tell me the
location wear it goes through the firewall? and exactly wear the clips mount to the floor board and do I need to drill holes for the clips or are they already there. By the way the previous owner installeed new floors.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 01, 04:13 AM
Senior Tech

Dave...let us know more about your sled and what tranny. In 69, the speedo cable was routed differently for different apps.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 01, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

That would help wouldn't it. It's a 69z28 small block with an m21 4speed. It has the optional gauge console also. someone routed the speedo cable out the top of the firewall near the throttle linkage, and down the trans tunnel.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 01, 06:31 AM
Kevin

Dave that is the correct routing for a muncie Z/28. there should be a clip within an inch or so right of the firewall hole and 2 more I think on the trans tunnel.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 01, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

I thought the cable was supposed to go down by the fuse panel, theres a hole for it. Also do the clips screw in?

------------------
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 01, 09:45 AM
Kevin

Dave, that location is for Saginaw and automatics. Per 69 assembly guide, the upper location is for muncie trans. I will have to double check, but I think there is one screw that holds the clips in.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 11-19-2001).]
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 01, 10:10 AM
Team Member
John

There are three clip locations for your application; one on the firewall, one just rearward of the firewall in the right side of the trans tunnel, and one further back on the right side of the tunnel. All three holes are 5/16" diameter, and use a clip with stamped legs on it - you stick the legs in the hole, and use pliers to squeeze two ears together to spread the legs on the other side of the hole. The A.I.M. shows the cable routing and clips in Section M20, Sheet A9, and the hole drilling callouts for the cable grommet and clips are in Section 0, Sheet A9, item 8 and 8A. The clips aren't cheap - Rick's has them for $9.95 each.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 01, 04:27 AM
Senior Tech

I'm still confused about his cable routing...he says it comes out of the top of the firewall near the throttle linkage. My 69 Muncie cars (two, original) have the grommet/cable exit somewhere between the wiper motor and brake booster (I'm not near the car now or I'd check for exact location)...are we talking about the same locale?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 01, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech
Dana

The factory hole for a Muncie equipped car is below the wiper motor about 3 inches, slightly to the inboard side (not dead center under wiper motor) and the firewall clip is about 1 inch inboard from the hole.

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302, M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, AM/FM, Spoilers, ZL2 Special Ducted Hood.

1969 SS: Matching # 350/300, M20 4-spd, 3.55 12-bolt posi, Daytona Yellow, Black Houndstooth, Factory Gauges, Spoilers, etc.

'85 Z/28: Rare Factory Yellow, 355 TPI, wifes car, lots of hot rod stuff, she will blow your doors off so don't mess with her!

1969 Z/28: Ralley Green, black standard interior, DZ302, M21, 3.73 posi, comfort grip steering wheel, factory gauges, spoilers, etc. FOR SALE?

[This message has been edited by DWCamaro69 (edited 11-20-2001).]
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 01, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

The assembly manual shows the location of the dimples for locating the muncie speedo hole and the clip holes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 01, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Thanks everyone for your help. I did look it up in the manual and it makes a lot more sense than it did before. However would there be any chance of getting a picture showing wear it comes thru in relation to the wiper motor. Since I'm having trouble visualizing it? Sorry to be a pain but I am trying to fix someone elses hacking on a decent car.
Thanks
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 01, 04:14 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I don't have a digital camera, but it's easy to locate. There are 3 bolts that hold the wiper motor in place. One is at about 11 O'clock position. Measure straight down 6" from that bolt, and you will see a distortion in the firewall (about the size of a silver dollar) that faces somewhat toward the pass side front corner. There's a dimple in that flat, which marks the location of the hole to be cut.

Also, there's another dimple very close to that point that marks the location of the first speedo cable clamp. That's a tough one, cuz it's hard to get up under your dash to splay the legs of the clamp, once you push them through the firewall.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 01, 04:32 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Oh, and this is important..... buy a plastic plug to pop into the factory speedo hole. Seal it up with RTV or something. Otherwize you'll be looking at water (read, rust) in the interior. You'll also get unwanted engine heat into the pass compartment.

You also need to seal the new speedo hole, and clip holes
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 01, 04:48 AM
Senior Tech

Here's a question.

I will soon be replacing my speedo cable on one of Muncie 69's. The replacement cable I bought from Ricks, AC Delco, is a one piece unit. How am I going to get the end of the cable through the grommet...which looks barely big enough for the cable...I don't see how I'm going to get the fitting through without mauling/cutting the grommet (the fitting that attaches to the guage is about 5/8's inch od).

Any ideas?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 01, 05:21 AM
Senior Tech

Also, how big is the hole in the firewall, behind the grommet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode