alternator brackets with headers - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 01, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

First off let me say thanks to everyone for all the help they have provided in the past. It is always great to get counseling and advice from folks that have "already been there and done that". I have a 68 Camaro with a 350 (short water pump), power steering and headers. I am currently using the universal header alternator bracket(s) to hold my stock alternator (external regulator) in place on the driver's side of the car. I am not real happy with the setup because I have tall valve covers that get in the way of adjusting/changing the alternator belt and I can't get the right amount of tension on the belt and as a consequence the belt "sings" to me at higher RPMs. I haven't thrown the belt yet but I'm sure it is just a matter of time. I see MOROSO makes a kit #63825 that will move the alternator to the right side of the block (upper mount) but I don't know if I have to change the pulleys to make it work. Ideally I would like to mount the alternator low on the right side of the motor (haven't seen a manufacturer that makes a low right side bracket set). I can't mount it low on the left side because of the power steering. Does anybody have any thoughts of the best course of action here? Thanks

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 01, 01:33 PM
Senior Tech
William

Put a long straightedge (yardstick) across the flat portion of the water pump pulley parallel to the belt. I'll bet you'll find your pulleys are out of alignment. On our totally stock '67 the alternator had to be moved 1/4" forward.

Street rod vendors offer many alternator brackets for the sb. Check 'em out.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 01, 01:52 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Scott,

I have a 68 with exactly the same configuration - short water pump, driver's side alt, universal bracket, 1-3/4" headers. I got mine to fit right, but only after a lot of aggravation.

I wound up putting a spacer (I used a nut ground down to the right thickness) on the lower alt bolt in front of the alternator inside the U part of the bracket and slid the bracket as far back as it would go.

I also had trouble getting the lower bracket to bolt real solid to the head - I wound up having to use a stud on the front header bolt. It turned out that my header bolts were too short when going through the alternator bracket AND the header flange. The lower bracket was a little loose and my alternator was vibrating.

Sounds confusing, but the bottom line is that I had to mess with alignment a little to get the belt to run straight and true. I don't know for sure that this is the problem you are experiencing, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure everything bolts in solid and is lined up right.

Good luck

------------------
68 Camaro, 383 small block with TH350 trans. 11.98's at 111mph and never trailered.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 01, 03:47 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

I had the opposite problem. Used a deep groove alt pulley with stock crank pulley. Had to use a stock one because I needed 3 groove for A/C.
Anyway, I moved the pulley aft as far as I could, and thenI had to grind down the spacer on the alt. shaft to get the belt aligned.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 01, 07:34 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile

The reason you guys have this problem is because b-4 1969 there were not bolt holes in the cylinder heads. I had a similar problem on my 69 that was converted to this. I've since changed to a Long pump and had a bolt hole drilled and tapped in my head (the cars). Save yourself the big headaches and order the right bracket you need. Check out this link an remember "NO BOLT HOLES IN HEADS",and "SHORT WATERPUMP."
http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/new_page_5.htm

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock, hooker, ultradyne,
TRW etc.
700R4 TPI transmission
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 01, 09:21 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

If you do have accessory holes in the heads check out the Technical Referance section of this website and take a look at the alternator conversions section. It it there are pictures of GM bracketry that works very well.

It's also on my website.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 01, 03:59 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJS69:
The reason you guys have this problem is because b-4 1969 there were not bolt holes in the cylinder heads. I had a similar problem on my 69 that was converted to this. I've since changed to a Long pump and had a bolt hole drilled and tapped in my head (the cars). Save yourself the big headaches and order the right bracket you need. Check out this link an remember "NO BOLT HOLES IN HEADS",and "SHORT WATERPUMP."
http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/new_page_5.htm

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TJS69, actually none of the brackets I'm using bolt to the front of the head anyway. The bottom bracket bolts to the head using the #1 cylinder exhaust bolts. The top adjustig arm bracket bolts to the water pump bolt.

You are right on about the three bolt holes on the front of the head though.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 01, 06:34 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

My heads were correct. My problem was mixing a standard groove crank pulley, with a deep groove alternator pulley. The centerline of the deep groove was forward of the centerline of the standard groove.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 01, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile

Eric68- I know that. You have a short water pump to, right ? In 1969 they switched to the long waterpump, put accesory holes in the heads, and switched the alternaor to the passenger side. (A/C to the drivers side).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode