69 rs headlight doors - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 01, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I cant seem to get my rs headlight doors to work. Everything is new, and I cant find any leaks. there is vac. coming from the intake, but it doesnt seem to be filling up the tank. I was wondering how long it takes to fill it. I have installed a new engine and I havent really let it run for very long.
Could this be the problem? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 01, 10:10 AM
Tech Team

There is a diaphram switch alongside the vacuume tank. I belive it's to open the doors for headlight removal with the lights off. If you hit this switch by accident while changing your engine,the doors won't work.Other than that I can't help you.
69 SS RS Convert.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 01, 01:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Hi Yogi,

If your system is all new and you feel that it is hooked up correctly, one problem might be the diaphragm switch on the vacuum tank. I bought a brand new OER unit. My system failed to function. It turned out to be the brand new unit. I replaced it with my old original piece and the hideaways sprang to life. This could be one item to check. Paul

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 01, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the replies. I have noticed that if I put the switch to the normal position,
or to the open position, it doesnt seem to affect the doors at all. This may be something for me to look into. Any more suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 01, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

Yogi, I would recommend that you get a good ol fashioned vacume pump/gage set. You can block off hoses past the area the you are checking and apply vacume to each part of the system. That way you can check each part seperate from each other. For instance you could start at the vacume line from the switch to vacume canister to see if there is any pull prior to the tank. If there is than the switch isn't the problem and you could work your way back to the doors themselves. It's probibly the fastest and easiest way to track down your problem

------------------
1967 Prostreet Camaro
402cid BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed... Well almost
http://www.visionworks-usa.com/camaro
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 01, 02:31 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

The tank is directly connected to the vacuum source on the intake manifold. There is a Y connection (actually a filter with 1 inlet and 2 outlets). One connection goes directly to the tank, the other goes to the headlight switch. If your not getting any vacuum to the tank, see if the filter is plugged.

I bought a set of repro hoses for my car about 4 years ago the contained a bunch of white plastic "T" connectors that were not drilled through. The horizontal part of the T was connected but the vertical connection was not. Caused me major fits trying to figure out why no vacuum was getting to my actuators.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 01, 03:18 AM
Tech Team

Talking

I recently had the same problem.
The relay switch on top of the tank has 3 hoses attached. The new relay's are blocked up with excess plastic when molded. use something small to poke down into the holes where all 3 hoses attach. Don't be scared of breaking it. I used a big nail. You will more than likely find on of them will be blocked.
The people at National Parts Depot told me about the trick.
Let us know if it works.

------------------
Ron Teal
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 01, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think Ill check for clogged switch and\or tee. If that doesnt work, I will try the vac. pump and work my way through the system. I will post the results if I can find the problem.
Thanks.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 01, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Still cant find the problem! I checked for clogged switch but the holes were o.k. I noticed when you turn on the headlights, there is air coming from the bottom of the vac. switch. Would this be a bad switch, or is this normal? I wouldnt think there should be any air coming from any part of the system. If I open the doors manually, The passenger side will close when I turn off the lights, but the drivers side wont do anything. I think I may try a new vac. switch, but Im still here for any suggestions. Thanks.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 01, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Problem solved! The vac. relay switch was bad. It seems there was a bad batch manufactured some time ago. Of course I got one! Thanks for all the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode