68 Z28? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 01, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

I'm looking at buying a 68 Z28 and want to make sure thats what it really is. Doesn't have the original engine
It has a 12 bolt rearend and muncie four speed. What else should I be looking for?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 12:43 AM
Tech Team

Thumbs up

Front power disc brakes,rear bumpergards.If the sticker in glovebox is there it should have E70x15.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 02:58 AM
Senior Tech

Without the original engine, build sheet, POP or other dealer documentation, one never really knows for sure if their 68 Z/28 is the real deal. All the things mentioned above (except the rear bumper guards maybe...never heard that one before) are indicators but could have been added to a base model...although the E70 tires sticker in the glove box is a real indicator that some may know about. Another indicator that were standard on the Z is a multi leaf suspension (I think 4 or 5 leafs). If the car has the factory tachometer (optional)it should be the high RPM red line (only available from the factory on the 396/375 HP and Z/28 cars). I think the redline is either 5700 or 5800. (I am at work and my reference material is at home and my car is in storage so I am going from memory) I think the base tachs either redline at 5000 or 5500. A guy in my neck of the woods swore up and down he searched the country over for a reasonably priced 68Z and found one with the incorrect motor but was sure it was the real deal. Had it shipped (he lives in Ohio)in from California he said. Later in the day, I went over and looked at his car and the tachometer was a base RPM one so either somebody replaced the correct one with the wrong one (not very likely) or he has a Z/28 clone...more likely. I did not burst his bubble when I saw him later in the day. If he thinks he has the real deal...no harm no foul.

I know from where you are coming from because I have a 68 RS Z/28 and have all the above mentioned equipment but still do not know if it is the real deal because I have no documentation or the matching numbers motor. It is a 302 and has all the right equipment so if it was cloned, it was done right, and knowing that is the best I can say, I am OK with that.

There is a book out by Jerry Mxxxxx somebody that gives alot of info for documenting 67 & 68 Z/28's. I am assuming most of it is accurate as I have not heard or read any major negatives on this book.

Good Luck

------------------
67 SS 396 Chevelle 350HP 4speed
70 SS 396 Chevelle 350HP 4speed
68 RS Z/28 302 350+HP? 4speed

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 03:08 AM
Senior Tech
VINTAGE CERT

Rear bumper guards were mandatory. I had asked the question why on the CRG board and as always, John Z came through. If you look in the assembly manual you will note that Z28's sat about an inch lower than standard and SS camaros. To meet federal bumper height requirments the bumper guards were added which effectively raised the bumper height.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 03:59 AM
Senior Tech

Thanks Shaugs for the clarification. Hence the phrase "never too old to learn" This was the first I heard of this but is interesting in itself.

When I bought my car there was a pair of rear bumper guards only in the trunk that the previous owner did not put on (or took off) because he did not like the look I assume. This is still interesting because it was only the rears which apparently should have been on the car. I put them on after I got the car mainly cuz I like the look, but I effectively made it more factory correct. Makes me wonder why only the rears were with the car. Could it be that they were there when the guy who started the restoration 9 years and 4 owners ago (including me)becasue it was a true Z?? Not terribly convincing in a court of law but interestingly enough that they were there. One more point on the "real" side of the ledger for me.

BTW: I have recently got my hands on some fronts to complete the look... that I like
alot

Thanks again,

Robert Stacho (a.k.a. Mytmouse)

------------------
67 SS 396 Chevelle 350HP 4speed
70 SS 396 Chevelle 350HP 4speed
68 RS Z/28 302 350+HP? 4speed
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 05:48 AM
Senior Tech
VINTAGE CERT

Robert- The rear guards were only mandatory for some reason. The rear of the Z28 sits lower than the front according to factory specs, this could be the reason.

[This message has been edited by shaugs (edited 12-04-2001).]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 01:56 PM
Team Member
John

Z/28's had G31 rear springs as part of the package; ANY Camaro with optional G31 rear springs got rear bumper guards automatically whether you wanted them or not in order to meet Federal bumper height requirements.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 01, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Very helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode