Camaro Convertibles - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 01, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I know Camaro convertibles are worth more than coupes, but I'll never have another convertible..They're horrible! Very poor design charactoristics by GM. My 67 would has so much body flex, the shifter would move when I hit a dip in the road. And the cowl? What a joke! They actually thought a bar from cowl to cowl would handle the sever cowl shake problem??NO way! Also, the dampers in each corner with trans fluid in them...Yikes! What a rig for a car they knew never should have been a convertible! That's embarassing!(and ugly). Oh, and the flex plate in the middle...someone in engineering really screwed that car up! What was GM thinking?? Oh, and those 2 little holes in the rocker behind the quarter are supposed to drain all the water and debris from the top gutter...Right! Seems most convertibles are rotted badly under the quarter window area of the quarter. Camaros should have never been converts..That's why no Novas were from 66 up and why they killed it in 70..I'm sorry, I love Camaros, but the convertible was a poor quality car...

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 01, 10:16 PM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cavemate:
...I'll never have another convertible..They're horrible...What a rig for a car they knew never should have been a convertible! That's embarassing!(and ugly). ....Camaros should have never been converts..Gary<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C'mon Gary, don't hold back...say what you really feel!

Assuming you meant this post seriously and aren't just trying to get a rise out of someone, let me start by saying you're entitled to your opinion. Apparently, the convert you had wasn't the right car for you. That's why they built them in different styles.

But there are many people (including me) who enjoy their covertibles more than you will ever understand. I'm very happy that GM built these cars, shortcomings and all. Although I agree that coupes are a better starting point for a hard-core performer, putting the top down on a sunny day has/does now/will always put a smile on my face. I haven't experienced the severe cowl shake and body flex as you describe it, but if I did, I would get subframe connectors before I ever thought of getting rid of the car.

Obviously, modern engineering has resulted in improvements in structural rigidity for all styles of cars. All first gens could use improvements in certain areas. But that's not the point. If it was, we'd all be on this board getting excited about modern grocery-getters instead of 30 something yr old musclecars.

There are some who enjoy these cars so much they will never let the car's shortcomings stop them from having fun in them. There are others who will focus so much on what's wrong with the car they will never get the chance to enjoy them. What a shame.

post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 04:25 AM
Kevin

Hear! Hear!, Well said my69gofast!

There is nothing that can describe the feeling you get when cruising down the street with the top down on a sunny warm day!

I will own a Ragtop until I die!

And yes, the body does flex, but the cowl doesn't shake. Cave, maybe you have an im-balance in your car??

Anyway, the converts were not meant for raw power speed contests they are cruising machines.

That's why the SS396 converts are rare and GM never built a COPO 427 convertible

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 12-04-2001).]

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 04:34 AM

I never would have gotten into camaros if it weren't for the convertible option. I was looking for an early 70's cutlass convertible when I started looking at camaro convertibles. I agree they maybe could've been designed a little better, but damn, they look so good!
Tybor
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 05:25 AM
Senior Tech

Yes, there are better platforms for a performance car, but the ragtop most definately has it's place. I keep the holes clear in the quarters, and have shot as much POR-15 as i could stand in the holes, keep the window fuzzies in good repair and you should be golden. I've never had the crossbrace, or the front coctail shakers in place, and i have only had negligable body flex. I now have all shakers and brace ready to install, I'll also add subframe connectors.

Did you have a rot box?
John
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 05:51 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I think gofast said it best, Gary is bored and looking to stir the pot!! I think we should all run out and trade our ragtops to the crusher for some Novas!! Since Gary has expressed his superior knowledge of Camaros many times since his first visit here it would be the right thing to do!!

Even the 4th gen convertibles don't have the structural strength of the coupe. SLP doesn't give the SS ragtop the same 17" 40series wheel & tire treatment as a coupe for that very reason!!

Maybe in his next post Gary will enlighten us about how imports dominated the auto industry in the late 70's and early 80's!! Shame on America for making low performance cars during that time period!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

You have convinced me. I don't want my car anymore. Who wants to trade?

Actually, I'm impressed with how my convertible rides. It's tighter and flexes less than my '92 Mustang convertible. A friend of mine drove it and was very impressed.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...9124&a=8603468
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 08:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

OK. I'll chime in, too. Yes, there's some flex but every top down day makes the car worth while. There's mods to tighten everything up but basic chassis rigidity will still nod towards the hardtop. However, subframe connectors, solid body bushings, etc do wonders. Now to design a discrete roll bar and I'll have it all!

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 09:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Smile

Cavemate, you have awoken a sleeping giant. In spanish, "Cucaste las hormigas"

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 10:40 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

I completely rebuilt my wife's 69 convertible and it drives great.......no shake, smooth as silk, very little flex and it really rides great even with 4 people in the car.

And you are right about appreciating, according to the experts they are outpacing the hardtops about 30%! [IMG] http://streetrodstuff.com/cgi-bin/di...o/pics/329.jpg [/IMG]

Enjoy the ride.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets

[This message has been edited by HOTRODSRJ (edited 12-05-2001).]
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 10:51 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
This forum is too busy to allow graphics to be displayed. Click the link below to see Steves car... http://streetrodstuff.com/cgi-bin/di...o/pics/329.jpg

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech

Unhappy

Ooooooooooooooops sorry for all the mess!

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

69GoFast is right..I wrote this post to stir things up and see who would stand tough behind their Camaro convertible.Everyone did very well, except DJD...Sorry Dennis, the negitivity of the post broke you. Everyone stayed cool and gave their own opinion while excepting mine, but you targeted me personally, rather than by my opinion..Oh well. Actually I love Camaro Convertibles..they're fun as ever and great looking. I would, however take a 67 SS 396 coupe over a 67 SS 350 convertible anyday. My first car in 1980 was a 67 Camaro covertible. White with red deluxe interior. I had so much fun with that thing.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 05:35 PM

My wife said no to every camaro, until she seen a convertable(84 z28) we stopped and bought it.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 01, 05:49 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Cavemate you have been on thin ice with all the administration here since you first showed up on the site!! I have a negative view of anyone that plays mind games at the expense of others! Take your BS and hit the road with it, it isn't wanted around here!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode