Window crank extensions? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 01, 03:22 PM
stenn5

Question

Does anyone know if you can get window crank extensions to install deluxe door panels or do you have to buy the whole window regulator? I have deluxe door panels but std regulators.
Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 01, 04:16 PM
Senior Tech
Joel

I think you have to replace the complete regulator.You might check in some of the Camaro parts books before you go spend the money tho because some may just sell the part for the crank that you can change to your standard regulators.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 01, 05:36 PM
stenn5

I sure hope not thats a pain and exspensive

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 01, 05:37 PM
stenn5

I also forgot to say thats its a 69
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 01, 05:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
You can cut some off of a junkyard car and extend yours by cutting and welding You just need them about 1/4" longer
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 01, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech

Do not forget the need for the exit handles, these are differnt also.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 01, 07:32 PM
stenn5

Cool

I forgot its a 69 RS/SS convert
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 01, 07:34 PM
stenn5

Angry

yea I know about the handles but their not to expensive or hard to change at least you dont have to gut the door and pull the glass, I have a agreement with glass I wont touch it and it wont get broken
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 01, 07:41 PM
Senior Tech

Glass and all stays in. Remove the two nuts that hold the channel to it, push it up and hold it wile you slip out the regulator. Snap
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 01, 03:03 PM
Senior Tech

In reference to the inside door handles being different also.....Is the linkage rod that goes from the door handle mechanism to the latch the same from standard to deluxe ???
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 01, 02:51 PM
stenn5

Question

That is a good question does anyone know that answer? It would help me out also
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 01, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech

OK, I am going to make this so simple that you wont believe it.. Remove your door panel and measure the length of the grooved stud that the window crank attaches to.. While you are measuring you should look closely at the piece of metal that holds this grooved stud to the regulator. You will see that it is held against the regulator with I think three pop rivets. Drill out these pop rivets and VOILA! You have the only piece you need to replace--------!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1. You do not have to remove your regulator from your door
2. You don't have to remove any glass.
Now, take the grooved stud and it's cradle (for lack of a better term) and go to your nearest recycling yard (junk yard) with your measuring tape. Pull off crank handles in older Oldsmobile products (Delta 88's and the like as they have thicker panels) You should not have to remove the door panels of these cars to measure the length of the grooved studs-just remove the window crank and slip your tape measure in there. Now when you find ones that are 1/4" than the ones you removed from your car, you have found what you need. Pull the door panel off and you will find that again these are held on with three little pop rivets. Hopefully you brought your cordless drill and a 1/8" bit. If not-don't sweat! They will come out with a hammer and a screwdriver. When you get home, lube them, and then pop rivet them back in..

I can't believe that no one else has figured this out yet. It is so simple. I used to hear about people buying the "deluxe" regulators for high dollar and I laughed because they had the right regulators the entire time.. Now if this information gets into the wrong hands, we will have a ton of people robbing the not-too-informed guys out there by converting their standard regulators and then selling them as deluxe.
I only hope the word spreads fast enough to prevent this kind of stuff. I will watch E-Bay in the coming weeks for new ads for deluxe regulators.

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci./365HP, T-56, 12 bolt, Power Trax Locker, 3.73 gears, 4 whl disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, floor console w/gauge package, center mntd. clock, tachometer
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 16, 06:05 AM
Mark

Re: Window crank extensions?

Window crank extension are available on eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode