Help! Need to find codes. - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 01, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

I am thinking about buying a 1969 Z/28 without the motor and trans. I need to know if there is anywhere on the internet that can tell me if this car is a true Z/28. I have the vin# and trim tag and the trim tag does tell me it is a Z but I don't know if they pulled it off another Z. Or can you even do that or is there away to know. I need your help.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 01, 06:25 PM

Question

Kyle-why do you say the trim tag and VIN# tell you it's a Z? What are you basing that on?We want to help,you're in the right place,but we need more information.

------------------
HDZ/28
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 01, 06:38 PM
Senior Tech

Kyle, I visit this site quite often. If you do not trust me than maybe we should not continue. If you are looking for a true Z than you should have known the right questions, rather than ask me if the car had AC or multi leaf suspension. I have many testimonials on my behalf that attest to my honesty and professionalism. Have you not visited my site? www.automotiveimage.com

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 01, 01:11 AM
DL
Senior Tech
David

Tracyracy, first of all I don't know what you've been telling to Kyle and I don't know what he has asked to you about the car, so this is just my opinion.
I have to say that I understand Kyle. He just want to be sure he doesn't buy a Z-clone for that amount of money. I don't think this has to be a "you have to trust me" thing, I think this is more a "I just want to be EXTRA sure" thing. The reason I write this is that I once trusted a salesman, and lucky for me (thanks to everybody at this site who provided me with the right car data!!!) I finally knew this car was not carrying the right vin-tags, so I didn't bought the car. It was a '68 camaro 50% restored, a few dents on the hood, no tranny, no engine and a few interior adjustments needed to be done. A perfect project-car for me.
Anyway I didn't knew much about ALL the details of the car. I knew the things I needed to know such as a real '68SS has multileafs etc. I did a bit of research on this before I went to the salesman, but probably not enough on the legal aspects.
I think every salesman says that he can be trusted, otherwise he'll be ruining his business. Please don't get me wrong, I don't say you can't be trusted, I only say that maybe you should told him why this is a real Z28. You knew that he probably is not an expert on a Z28, cause Z28's didn't get an A/C for example, so why would he ask?!. Don't say that he should have known the right questions, just tell him that the Z28 never had A/C etc.

And Kyle.....when buying a classic car, please be better informed on the subject, it will help you alot asking the appropriate questions.

Goodluck to both of you.

David
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 01, 03:09 AM

When I'm verifying something I always ask the wrong questions.

And if you don't correct me - I know you're FOS.

I got an email yesterday about a 72 camaro (coupe) which someone has apparently screwed a Z28 trim tag onto it. I asked if it has A/C (cause Z28's don't have A/C). Oh ya, this email was from a classic car dealer FWIW.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 01, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech

Thank you. I do understand both of these posts' view. What I had told Kyle was next time to do more homework BEFORE searching out a "REAL" car. Then when he views the large amount of detailed pictures(including original Z stripe detail on cowl) the seller sends him(including one of the firewall, clearly not showing AC), as well as a web site to view that has details of past and present 69's (supports sellers knowledge) the seller has done and then add on top of that the seller answers a bunch of questions from many e-mails that are not realitive to what a real car is(does the car have a 12 bolt?)(yes, then ask if it has multi leaf springs) and then still not be satisfied. I believe then more homework should have been done before searching. Do not get me wrong, I am in no way not wanting to educate a potential buyer of what I have for sale, but to do so and then the buyer go out and still not be certain shows me that MAYBE the buyer does not know what he is looking for. Maybe just a Coupe that he can clone is what I had already suggested he might be happy with.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 01, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

You have good reasons TracyRacy. But on all of your answers you are very vague. First of all I don't know why that car does not have the original master booster. You do not have to remove this to put in a big block. And then you tell me that it does not have the original rearend. This car is sounding more and more like a piece of crap. I asked you for a full description of the car and you send me an email with one sentence. And your pictures clearly show rust ALL OVER THE ENTIRE BODY. It seems as though you bought this car knowing of all the rust covering the body and very quickly did a very ****ty job of primering the car thinking someone stupid enough with the money would come right by and buy it. Well I am sorry Tracy but I am not that stupid to buy something unless I am damn sure of what I am buying. And I am positive I am not going to buy a car that has cancer all over the body.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 01, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech

These statment again show your lack of knowledge. Good luck on your search for a car. But please do more homework so that you might 1)Know what you are looking at 2)Know what questions to ask 3)Now how to tell the difference between a car that is Painted Gun Metal Gray and a car that is primered.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 01, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

I knew what I was looking at. I was looking at a pile of junk. Oh sorry, a pile of junk with cancer all over it. And if that is painted gun metal grey why did you paint right over the garnet red? You must really suck at painting for all of the paint to just be falling off. I have knowledge of camaros, I just don't want to buy a camaro with cancer all over the body. Do you really believe that there is no rust on that body? If you do, you are either blind or just a really horrible person to lie to people. Do yourself a favor, and go outside to the car, and start looking for rust. It won't take you that long since it is covering the entire body. You must really be stupid since you don't have the knowledge to know that you have a '67 rear spoiler on a '69 camaro.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 01, 01:43 PM
Senior Tech

Please stop showing how much you do not know. The car is a Dec 68 build,you figure that out, do some homework like I have suggested.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 01, 01:49 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Tracy,

This is my opinion and it's ment as food for thought not as a put down... As the selling party, you would have been better off not responding to a post that relates to your product. At least not with an I'm honest, trust me or... answer. Some of your own advice is to do your homework. You sidetracked just that. Had you allowed others to provide Kyle some tips on recognizing a '69 Z and that is indeed what you have for sale, Kyle might be loading it up as I type this!!

Let's all take it down a notch please...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode