Does this stuff work? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 01, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have 2 pinhole leaks in my radiator-upper driver side front. I have seen stop leak products at auto stores. Is this a permanent or temporary fix? How does it hold up-good or not so good? How about soldering it? What solder would be best? I remember back in high school-1980 graduate-my friend put a couple of Bayer aspirin in his radiator-I thought he was nuts-but he said it works,but that is not an option for me. I eventually plan on getting a new radiator,but i dont see having the $ for that until at least spring. Looking forward to some replies.Thanks Jim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 01, 08:47 AM
Senior Tech
Brian Cooper

I have used it with success, but it is a patch at best. Get it soldered or replace it if you can. The stop leak stuff it really a band aid, not a cure.

------------------
57 Plymouth Savoy in my family since new, just cosmetically restored, 93 S-10 waiting on the 80 Dodge Lil' red Express clone truck to be built then one s_10 for sale, Angie's mechanic and designated Vette cusser.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 01, 05:21 PM
Tech Team

"Stop Leak" type products have the tendancy to clog up the heater core. Something to think about.

------------------
69 Chevelle SS
Camaro Parts Network, http://www.camaro1.com

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 01, 12:00 PM
Team Member
John

Two "Bar's Leaks" pellets have gone into the radiator of every car and truck made in the U.S. for the last thirty years, to ensure there are no tiny leaks at hose connections, etc. Don't know about other products, but the "Bar's Leaks" will NOT clog a heater core. If a leak is not corrosion-related (so it doesn't keep enlarging), it's very effective.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 01, 12:34 PM
Senior Tech

i have used various stop leak products with varying sucess. I found that they usually hold up for awhile, but don't depend on them because eventually they may give out. My leaks where a little bigger that pinhole though so it might work better for you.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 01, 02:30 PM
Tech Team

I used to think of stop leak products as snake oil. Now I'm a believer. They will work for very small leaks, such as pinholes. 'fixed one last week on my daughter's tracer.

They will not stop larger leaks such as tank gaskets, etc. They also can clog the radiator or heater core. My motto now is, try stop leak. If it still leaks, replace the radiator.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 01, 03:59 PM
Senior Tech

Usually the stop leak isn't as effective on leaks close to the top. If it does seal, eventually it will leak again. The best bet is to pull it out and carry it to an honest radiator shop and have them clean and repair it. It usually runs less than $40 and they'll give you a year or so warranty.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 01, 04:11 PM
Tech Team

We have had many cars come in for the heater not working correctly. 9 times out of 10 the system is full of that crap. It's a band-aid at best to get you home.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 01, 07:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
JohnZ.....You mean the big three all put Bars Leaks into all the cars ? Thats a Cool Fun fact.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 01, 06:19 PM
David Pozzi

Bars leaks or Alumaseal poweder works on small leaks. We have used it on farm equipment and pickups for many years. It will buy you time but usually pinhole leaks are a tip off the core is rotting.
BTW 92 up full size Blazers and Suburbans have weak core connections to the header tank and crack the solder joints. Only fix is a full thickness core. I don't know when GM finally fixed that one.

I would use the lowest pressure cap avalable, or pull the rubber gasket off the cap you have on it now to reduce core pressure. An old core can't take the high pressure.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 09:03 AM
Senior Tech

A buddy of mine was stranded on the side of the road with a bad radiator, I think road debris killed it. He ran to a convinence store, bought some eggs (i think 6 or so) and some water. he fired the eggs into the radiator, with the water, and the leak stopped. For real, no foolin'
he drove to my buddies shop the next day, and we drained the water, and replaced the radiator, what a smelly mess, but he put about 100 miles on the eggs.

John
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 11:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Are you going to be storing your car for the winter? If so, wait and have it repaired correctly.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 01, 02:36 PM
Team Member
John

Charlie -

Yup, that's a fact; all the OEM's use it at initial coolant fill, and have for many years. Eliminated lots of nickel-and-dime warranty claims for tiny hose connection and freeze plug leaks. Go to the coolant fill operation in any assembly plant and you'll find a bin full of them - they plop two in every radiator.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 01, 04:23 PM
Senior Tech

Yeah...but the OEM pellets are designed for seepage... they work good for that...and are undetectable after they dissolve (at least the GM's)...I can't remember ever trying them for pinholes though...I would maybe give them a try if I was in a bind...

You can detect the aftermarket stuff just by removing the radiator cap and looking at all the goop/slime that is on it...just imagine where else this stuff is glued to.....I wouldn't put that stuff in My work/beater car....I would repl the radiator....just My .02......Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode