what cam big block? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 01, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i want to run a 454, but im not sure what cam to use. i have 2.73 gears (maybe higher) i dont want to go through the hassle of changing gears. it wont be anything exotic. kb pistins (9:1 +-), a cam, an intake and headers. i also wanted to know if my th350 and 8.5" 10 bolt wil be up to the task. the tranny has a shift kit, and the rear will soon have a posi. this is going in a 79 firebird, are there any weird thinga about swapping in this engine other than the tranny bolt pattern? thanks for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 01, 12:00 PM
Senior Tech

With your gears, I'd stay around the 218-224 duration side and around .500-.510 lift with LSA around 110. I think the XE 262 hydraulic cam would work nice...sounds like you've probably got stock heads (like me) so the exhaust side suffers a bit which is what these cams are made for.

Of course, I tend to be a bit conservative in my cam choice but for a street only car I like power right from the start.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 01, 01:13 PM
Senior Tech

I used to run a very similar setup in a '73 camaro LT. 2.73 posi rear, th350 trans, and a .060 over 454 out of a 78 chevy 1 ton. It had a small port edelbrock performer intake, stock truck q-jet, late 60's 396 oval port heads (roughly 9.0-1 compression), a cheap PAW 214/224 @.050 cam and lifters, 1 3/4" headers and dual 2 1/4" exhaust. This thing made so much low end torque, it would spin the 235/60-15's at 1/4 throttle from a dead stop. At 1/2 throttle from a dead stop, it would just sit there in a cloud of its own tire smoke not moving. It was pretty much dead above 4800 rpms, but it made mondo low end torque.

------------------
'78 chevy truck-355, 9.4-1, vortec heads, XE268, vortec rpm intake, 750 edelbrock, flowtech headers and terminators.

'77 Nova-slowly progressing project.

'78 Nova-parts car?

'95 Lumina 3.4L DOHC 210hp daily driver

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 01, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

travis, what mileage did you get? how was the idle? i dont want a smooth idle, doesnt have to idle like a stock car, but at least a bit of lope. i dont want to get stuck with 2 mpg either. i know i cant get 500 hp and 35 mpg, but somewhere in the middle would be ideal. thanks for the help
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 01, 08:24 PM
Senior Tech

Typical of anything with a 454, mileage was pretty lousy...of course it got driven hard...but the potential for decent economy was there. Idle was also fairly smooth...you could tell it wasnt stock but it wasnt lumpy by no means. It was very well suited for a truck or heavy car with high gears. I actually built this engine for a '78 1 ton double cab dually with 4.10's...it would lay 4 stripes for about 30-40 feet from a dead stop. It got 10-11 mpg on the highway in the truck with, if I remember correctly, something like 245/85-16.5's out back. The camaro wasnt mine...it was my bosses at the time. We slapped a tired 325hp 396 in the dually and sold it, and dropped the 454 in the camaro in place of the stock 350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode