Feedback Carbs and Computers - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 01, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
CZ

I have an 84 camaro, 305, and was looking to get more HP out of it. I have a feedback carb and was considering going with a holley or edlebrock carb, non feedback. Can anyone who has done this before explain how and what replacement parts they used? I'm in a state that requires the emission controls. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by CZ (edited 12-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by CZ (edited 12-08-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 01, 03:10 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

I think you will fail any inspection tests if you remove the feedback carb. Unless you know someone that does the inspections and will cut you some slack. I don't know, but are there any upgrades to TPI that are legal? Maybe that would be the way to go.

I had the same car and swapped in a 375HP 355. In the process I removed the Q-jet carb, distributor, stock exhaust (cad converters too), the rest of the smog equipment, and the little check engine light bulb to shut the computer up. definately not a smog legal scenario but it was a lot more fun to drive!

There might be some mail order places that will modify your feedback carb to make the fuel curve a little better for performance, but I don't remember for sure.

------------------
68 Camaro, 383 small block with TH350 trans. 11.98's at 111mph and never trailered.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 01, 08:13 PM
Senior Tech

Places like The Carb Shop and others can tweak a computer q-jet just like any other carb. Its about the same price as a new performance carb but it keeps you legal and ups your hp.

------------------
'78 chevy truck-355, 9.4-1, vortec heads, XE268, vortec rpm intake, 750 edelbrock, flowtech headers and terminators.

'77 Nova-slowly progressing project.

'78 Nova-parts car?

'95 Lumina 3.4L DOHC 210hp daily driver

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 01, 10:02 PM
Senior Tech

If you're in a state that requires emissions controls, there is no way to comply with those rules while switching to a non-feedback carb.

Although the feedback function carefully controls the A/F ratio at idle and part throttle, you should (assuming you have a Q-Jet) be able to pick up some HP at WOT by switching secondary metering rods. They can be picked up cheap and are easily switched.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 01, 06:31 AM
Tech Team

cars made before the computer was common on cars still passed emmissions. if you remove the feedback carb, there should be some way to pass an emmissions test. i would say get the carb you want, an egr manifold, get high flow cats, keep the smog pump (just for the test, you can take it off when you get back) there is also some kind of gunk you can put in your fuel that makes it cleaner. get gas from a station that sells gasahol (some alchol in every bit of gas) adjust your timing, lean the carb (im not sure if leaning the carb will help or hinder) these things should help

[This message has been edited by badcam (edited 12-10-2001).]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 01, 11:07 PM
Senior Tech

It is true that later pre-computer cars still had to pass emissions. However, emissions standards in many states vary depending on the year of the car. Standards for a late seventies Camaro may be totally different than those for a Camaro from the eighties. Might not be like that everywhere, but it is in many areas (mine included).

Check your specific area before replacing the carb you have now.

If you decide to work with your existing carb, here are some tips: http://www.dorianyeager.com/ccctuning.html
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 01, 05:00 AM
Tech Team

in the latest issue of popular hot rodding, there is a whole section on how to pass an emmissions test.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 01, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
CZ

Thanks for all the good advise. The state I'm in dosen't have emissions testing, but they have annual state inspections and do check for emission controls that were part of the original equipment. My concern was the computer, I wasn't sure what functions it controled and what effect bypassing it would have. I'm assuming it only controls the carb and distributor.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 01, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech

If You have an automatic trans the computer also controls the lockup converter.....I'm not sure if the comp will go into a default mode for lockup. The comp does use the throttle position sensor as one of it's inputs for this lockup.....running without lockup will kill some fuel mileage and is not good for the trans as it builds up more heat.....Billy
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 01, 03:20 PM
Senior Tech

thats when u switch to a non-lockup th-350
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 01, 09:55 PM
Senior Tech

i swear i put a response on this thread a few days ago. where'd it go?

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode