I'm stuck at my house - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 01, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Angry

I'm can't start my car! Here is the low down, new battery I put in today because other battery was dead. Put a gm starter (rebuild) in my car with heat wrap on it, new battery cables, put full length headers on car( month ago) with no starter problems, car leaks oil. Car will usually start normal when cold, yet sometimes like now, when i turn the key, I hear a click sound, so the solnoid engaged and a very slow turning sound from my starter motor. With having a new battery, and fresh cables, I don't think power to the starter is a problem, also the car has been sitting in the cold for three hours, so heat shouldn't be a problem now...could it be because of oil getting on the starter motor to make it not operate? Also my timing is onle 8 BTDC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 01, 11:17 PM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

I have a feeling your charging system isn't working to capacity.
If you can safely jump start the car, do so, and if it fires up, then the battery isn't staying fully charged - either something is draining it or it's not charging right.

Make sure the grounds are clean and solid as this also can cause problems.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 01, 04:32 AM
Tech Team

not only clean and tight grounds check ur battery terminals for being tight still and check the wires all the way to the starter and if u get it started go to ur local auto parts store they should do a battery/charging system check for free

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 01, 04:33 AM
Tech Team

ohh yeah they can also do a starter check for free

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 01, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech

I have to agree with Al. Because the starter engages and turns, but turns slowly, it tells me that not enough juice is getting from the battery to the starter to really spin it. Either the battery is not recharging during normal driving (take in the alternator and voltage regulator for a free test) or you have a problem in your electrical system that is causing a drain on the battery while the car is sitting. Do a search in the "eletrical" heading on this site and you will get some great help on how to trouble shoot this problem.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 01, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Angry

If it was something drawing power from the battery when not in use, what could cause this and how could I figure out what it is. Also when I just turned the key , same thing slow enough turn to just twitch the fan blade.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 01, 02:00 PM

this same exact thing happened to me.. I found that if I jumped the car at the fuse block it would work, and now it's not as bad, but my alternator (it's been tested) is running low. Summit sells a 140amp that I'm going to buy soon, because I need a little extra for the subs in the trunk. I'll report back if that solves the problem for me.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 01, 02:48 PM

the way I found that type of short was to put a amp meter between the positive post and the cable note the amperage . than remove fuses one at a time when the number drops. check out that circuit.See if that is normal ie. clock,radio,alarm. or your problem ,it might be several circuts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 01, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

If you can get her running place a screw driver behind the alternator. If there is a magnetic response of some type then she is charging. At least you'll know how to proceed and won't have to yank out the alternator. Good luck!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 01, 07:03 PM
XK1
Senior Tech

be sure the ground cable is on a good clean location on the engine and body and is tight. If you get the same problem with a jump start and all the cable connections are good, see about having the starter tested. Be sure the pos cable on the starter got tightened good.

------------------
76 Camaro/mild 350 .030/M21/Z28 body parts/lotsa other goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode