383 more torque - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 01, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

first off i have a 350 with a 4.00 bore 3.75 stroke so i guess u really call this a 377 any way i have 305 heads on it 58cc first question is is this helping me r hurting me keep in mind i want a better response r torque that iz talking about the heads second question i have a camshaft with 215 duration 106 lsa and 500 lift wondering about putting it in it will it give more torque and what kind would u suggest third what kind of power u think my motor produce with this combo and if u may help please give me a combo that would give me great great throttle response and thank to those who reply i am younge man willing to learn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 05:14 AM
Senior Tech
John

how much money are you looking to spend? I would say that a head change would do you well. The Edelbrock RPM heads will give you big torque and are relatively inexpensive.

Is your engine already built and you want more torque, or are you just anticipating that it will lack torque? If it is built already, what cam do you have in there now before thinking of switching to another.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 05:15 AM
Tech Team

well the 305 heads might help a bit, but you cant bet much bigger with the cam. the small valves of the 305 head make good low end grunt, but that low end juice comes at the price of less flow at high rpms. they might work, but if you want to go any further with the build i would suggest differrent heads. on a 350 they work pretty good, but you have more then 350 cubes. imagine it this way. try drinking a glass of water with a straw, then try to drink a gallon of water with the same straw, in the same amount of time. this is kinda how it works for your application, the glass is the 350 and the gallon is the 383. the small valves just cant fill the cylinders of a 383 as well as they can a 350, combine that with the bad flowing ports and it doesnt look good. if you want those heads you might try a little porting. thats all i can say, hope this helps a little

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 01:03 PM
Tech Team

read this, its seem u can get the 305 heads to flow.
http://www.isthq.com/~dan/ported.html
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 01, 02:29 PM
Team Member
John

A 106 LSA cam will kill your low-end torque, and that's what 383's are all about.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode