Looking at a '69 Camaro this Saturday, what to look for? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'm going to look at a '69 Camro this saturday and wanted to gather your thoughts on what to look for. Trouble areas common to that year?

The newspaper ad listed it as: '69 Camaro SS, One owner, garage kept, 89K miles, $8900.

However when I called the guy he said it turned out that it wasn't an SS, that a collector had come by and pointed out all the reasons that it really wasn't. I found that to be a little weird - the original owner doesn't know what kind of car they have?

Anyway, he said it has 89K miles, ralley wheels, 12 bolt rear, Muncie 4 speed, 250hp 350, Hugger orange (repainted 10 years ago) with white stripes, no rust, a good driver.

What do you guys think?

------------------
1982 Corvette
Tremec TKO
650hp/580tq SBC 427
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 05:09 AM
Senior Tech
John

beware of rust around the wheels, in the trunk, around the rear window, etc.

Is this car being sold by a dealer by any chance? I recall a sale of a car that matches your description on Ebay awhile back that was out of Illinois. They were marketing it as an SS and said that it had the 350/255 horse motor...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

No it's not being sold be a dealer. It's actually up in Madison, WI, which is a 3 hour drive for me, so I want to make sure I know what to look for while I have the chance.

Thanks.

------------------
1982 Corvette
Tremec TKO
650hp/580tq SBC 427

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 05:37 AM
Senior Tech

It's possible that the car may be an SS, but without the original engine. Things to look for on an SS are: 1)check the firewall tag, if it has an X?? code, it can denote if a true SS. 2) 12 bolt rear (already there). 3) front disk brakes. These are the most obvious things that have to be there, but not a complete list. The telltale sign will be in the firewall tag. Get a decode listing of what the codes mean to help you out.

------------------
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed

[This message has been edited by drdave69 (edited 12-12-2001).]
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Is there a RPO code list on the internet somewhere?

------------------
1982 Corvette
Tremec TKO
650hp/580tq SBC 427
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 06:19 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Look for rust in front floor pans, rockers and rear frame rails also SS cara will have front disc brakes the list goes on.Just do your homework good luck.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 06:24 AM
Jeff

Should be an easy buy. If he is like stated the orginal owner he should I hope still have all the paperwork to include the POP that came with the car.
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 07:05 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Biggest thing to look for is rust. Check the rear quarter panels from within the trunk to see if new partial qtr skins were ever put on. Check the dates and codes on the 12 bolt rear. They are on the passenger side facing toward the front of the car. You'll need a flashlight and probably a stiff brush to clean it off. Get the info off the cowl tag, the engine pad and check the transmission too. Check the carb to see if it's a 2 or 4 bbl and get the #'s off that as well. If the car is solid and has the original 350/4 speed with 12 bolt rear, that's a decent price even if it isn't an SS350.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 07:23 AM
Senior Tech

bring a mirror with you, to check out the floor and quarters

------------------
1968 Camaro RS SS
1966 Ford Mustang
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 08:23 AM

And take a flashlight to peek into the door with the window rolled down, looking for signs of skin replacement, rust and bondo. Also a phillips screwdriver, take the vents off the rear quarter near the door striker. You can see the rear inner wall and rear quarter sheet metal from the inside.

Also make sure the rear leafs are the same, I bought mine and later found out one spring had 5 leafs and the other was a monoleaf. Ouch!
RPO and other details can be found at http://www.camaros.org/index.shtml
------------------
68 Base Coupe, 327/210hp with TH400
99 Silverado

[This message has been edited by Lownf4me (edited 12-12-2001).]
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 08:47 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

Make sure you don't look at this car at night, it can hide all sorts of problems, not to mention that it's white, that color hides damage well. Bring a fridge magnet from pizza hut or the like (flexable thin kind) and put it all over the car to check for heavy bondo. It will fall off it there is too much....
Tyler

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/Camaro/Tyler_Beauregard/tyler_beauregard.htm" TARGET=_blank>
68-LT1-T56
</A>
<A HREF="http://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/Camaro/Tyler_Beauregard/5050.htm" TARGET=_blank>
50/50
</A>
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the link to Camaros.org. A lot of good information there - I thought us Corvette owners were meticulous about the details!

------------------
1982 Corvette
Tremec TKO
650hp/580tq SBC 427
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 11:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Rust, rust, rust. Look at the condition of the body bushings, especially the middle and rearmost. That's were the subframe will rot through. Repairable but not fun. If there's a mat in the trunk, pull it up and look. Jack the car up ( with stands ) enough to carefully check the floors. There may not be an X code on the trim tag if it was made prior to the end of Dec.but SS' had disc brakes.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 03:05 PM
Senior Tech

If it a One owner Car you would think this guy would know if he bought it as an SS or not. Just a Thought.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 01, 03:20 PM
Senior Tech
Mike H

sounds like this guy may have bought it from the orig. owner and is just a middle man,??
The orig. owner would know what he has....
be careful...

------------------
My '69 Camaro Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode