registration - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 01, 11:48 AM

I bought my 67 2 years ago and never registered it cause I knew that I was going to do a full resto on it (hasent moved since) ..Does anybody see any issues with that..Dont want to finish it and not be able to drive it..ya know..I am in Illinois...I have the title which is signed by the previous owner..etc...just never got the plates...thanks everybody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 01, 11:55 AM
Senior Tech

the only thing is how long it has been since it was registered. you might have to pay for every year it wasn't registered. i never have had to, but have heard of it. also, if the guy you got it from put the date on the title, you might have to pay a late transfer fee.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 01, 08:02 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Here in cali. and some other states late fees and such go away after five years. When I bought my camaro the old owner never transfered the title or paid any thing for almost five years. So when I bought it I waited one month before I transfered the title into my name. The fees dropped from $486 to $150. Just call the DMV and ask them about it. If you play it right you can save money by letting the laws work for you.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 12:48 PM

Mine was last registered approximately 10 years ago in Cali. The only problem I had when re-registering it in N.Y. was when I wanted to change the serial to the correct number. The Cali title had the wrong #. It was close but no ciger, off by one digit at the 2nd # in the serial. I gave them a picture which they kept for proof.

...Ron

[This message has been edited by 68 RS (edited 12-16-2001).]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 05:06 PM

In Georgia, it's against the law to register a "race car". So when my cars have been classified or defined as "race cars" (or vehicles which are used for off highway use) by the state, they weren't registered. When I was ready to put them on the street again, or get ready to, I registered them and paid the $10 for plates.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 06:08 PM
Tech Team

In California there is a "non operation slip" you can fill out stating it has not being or been driven for a period of years. Mine was off the road and last regiseterd in 1991, stored in a barn. Had a non operation slip and just paid transfer and titke fees. Ask the Illinois DMV if you have something like this. This way you wont need to register while off the road.
HTH
JA

------------------
John P. Allen
Sunnyvale Ca.
68 RS, 327 w- A/C, 70 Buick GS455 Convertible
http://www.mothers.com/coolcars/coolcars.html
July 1999 and April 2001
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 01, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech

When I bought my '68, the first thing I did was get it registered. I felt better having a clear title with my name on it before investing a lot of time and money into it. If there was some problem with them believing your purchase price, if you got it cheap (or want to say you did for tax purposes) it would be hard to convince them by showing them a car that has been restored.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 01, 09:29 AM
Kevin

Here in NJ, you do not need to register (get plates to drive) it when you title it(new owner transfer). Just get the title in your name and tell DMV that you are going to register it later (Much ).

When the time comes to register (get the plates) it, they might look funny at you, but they will register it. They might have to issue you a new title if it is off of their records.

Luck, Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 12-17-2001).]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 01, 03:25 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Lightbulb

I believe here in Texas you can file an affadavit stating that you bought the vehicle and it has been in non-operational condition since the purchase date. I am not sure if there is a penalty though for not registering it or transferring the title. Might depend on the amount of time elapsed or circumstances.

I would call the DMV and plead your case...there has to be some kind of leniency for non-operational vehicles!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 01, 11:40 AM
Tech Team

When I moved from Ct to PA in 1984, I retitled my 67 to PA. That was in 1984. When they wouldn't allow me to have 'classic car tags' because the Camaro was still in production, I said to he__ with em. I soon took it off the road to do a body off restore. In 1997, when I was about to get it ready for the road, I applied for and received PA Historical Car plates which are registered for life and require no inspection, safety or emissions. Since I did a lot of the resto myself ( I like to brag that I have touched every bolt, nut, clip and bracket)I can easily handle the inspection myself. My advice would be to talk to a rep from the DOT or MVD, whatever Illinois has and ask for a copy of all the regulations regarding collector cars. Good luck to you.
Cheers,
JJH
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 01, 12:37 PM

Thumbs up

thanks for all the replies everybody...got about 2 more years till she is back on the road again...but I think I will look in to this a bit more and see what the state has to say...happy holidays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode