Anyone here had this problem? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Smile

I've got a 69 RS/Z that I've had for about 7 years or so. It's been parked for a few years due to a blown engine and lack of funds! Starting about two years ago I began getting about 3 people a week coming by wanting to buy it (about 5 of them over and over) In the last year I've built a small shop and put it in there under lock and key. I've been slowly restoring it. Even though it's out of sight it's not out of their minds as they still come by and hit me up to by it. I've had offers from $1000 (told them to get off the property!) up to $7000 yesterday ( thought long and hard but said no thanks) I guess I should be flattered but I can't help but be irritated! Especially when the same people keep coming over and calling me. At last count I had 17 different phone numbers from people stashed in the junk drawer of my tool box. Anyone here had this problem?
One other thing; my car is currently Hugger orange with black stripes and black vinyl top and needs painting. It's originallly daytona yellow with black vinyl top. What is everybody here's choice of color between the two? I lean toward the orange. What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 01:56 AM
Senior Tech

I have a 68...kinda like your story...slowly putting in all back together....i think i have a entire new car, in parts inventory scattered between the garage, storage shed, and attic...now if i can just get them all in one place...like on the car.. anyway...always having people stop by a want to buy it....i don't know what it is: camaro envy?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 05:17 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

I'd go back to the original Daytona Yellow, enhances the resale value, and besides, it's my favorite color. My 69' is heading to the paintshop 1st of the year, and that's what I'm going with.......KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69 SS/396 CLONE!
The Texas Tornado lives!
http://www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd/

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 05:18 AM
Senior Tech

I am finishing up a 69 rs-ss (not a numbers matching car)which I painted hugger orange with white ss stripes. I like the Daytona yellow, put that orange sure does look good!
I have found that a lot of people who bother you about buying your car, are just after a deal that they can turn around and make a profit on. If you dont really want to sell, set a very high price on the car, and most of them will stop bothering you.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 05:45 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Obviously you'd consider selling the car or you wouldn't be saving the numbers. I'd either call them all and tell them to show up at a common time and bid against each other for the car or toss out all the numbers and ask them not to call you anymore. It really boils down to how badly you want the car. I never seem to hold onto mine for the same reason. Someone always want my cars more than I feel they're worth and end up selling them. If I ever got the one I really want I woldn't sell it for any price.

I used to keep all the numbers of the guys that bought my old cars, thinking maybe someday I'd buy them back if I felt the need to. But I've decided there's no desire to own a car I've already had and threw them all out.

I'd go Daytona Yellow since it's the original color and personally I don't like black stripes on the Hugger Orange cars. But that's just my personal choice, many people like that combo.

Dave

[This message has been edited by SY1 (edited 12-16-2001).]
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 05:51 AM
Senior Tech

Meet new people....display Your project car outside...
I also have people stop by wanting to know if the car is for sale or any parts for sale....most of these people share a common interest in the older muscle cars...it doesn't bother Me...as a matter of fact I have been led to some good deals on parts from these "strangers".....
I also have a freind who's annoying persistance has ended up with some pretty good deals from people who originally said no....
I guess it's just part of the game of owning one of these classic's.....Billy
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 07:53 AM
Senior Tech

WOW! A Original RS/Z that is a factory Daytona Yellow! Wanna sell it? By no means would I paint it Orange.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 08:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
7000.00 for a 69 RS Z28, Daytona Yellow is very cheap, even if it is all apart. That is assuming that most of it is there and it's not a rust bucket. If you sold it for 7K do you think you could ever find another at that price ? When your car was sitting outside was it a Candidate for the web site that has pics of good cars wasting away ? Maybe some of these People are just hoping to save it(probably not). Nice to hear it is inside now. i also don't care for Orange with Black, prefer Orange with White.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just kept the numbers so i wouldn't be lying to the people when i said i'd keep their number! Most of these people who are trying to buy it are classic car "sharpies". People who'd clone a car and sell it to you in a heartbeat for an original. When they find an original they want to spruce it up and come up with a long line of BS in the description of it's rareity and put it up on ebay for MEGA bucks. These are the ones that tick me off. They look it over and say "uh i dunno i might give you a $1000 for it ". Thats when i say "get the [email protected]#k off my property"! Only two people wanting to buy it have appeared to me as ones who truely love the cars and would fix it up and drive it themselves.

So you'd all go with the Daytona Yellow w/blackstripes as opposed to the Hugger orange? Is it uncommon to see an RS/Z with factory Daytona yellow? I like them both myself. Oh by the way the car has a straight rust free body with only a little rust flaking in the trunk but not all the way through. So i think 7 grand might be low especially when i look on ebay!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 10:26 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Definitely go with the yellow. Good luck on the restoration.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...9124&a=8603468
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 01, 06:45 PM

If you paint it orange, please don't put the black stripes back on, but since you already have a black top, and i assume black interior you might as well paint it yellow
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 01, 06:29 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Is your Z a completely original car? If so, then $7000 would have been a steal. Anyway, I live in GA and it's nice to see others from my neck of the woods post here, this site is great. If I were you, I'd repaint with Daytona Yellow. Guys, what the heck is wrong with Orange/Black? I sold my numbers matching '69 Z back in the summer(now I wish that I hadn't) that was Hugger Orange/Black Vinyl top/Black stripes and Orange Deluxe Houndstooth. This was a stunning color combo.

------------------
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed, manual top, console w/gauges, tilt rosewood wheel, AM radio
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 01, 02:58 AM

yellow
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 01, 04:22 AM
Senior Tech
Mike H

BEE-ZEE!

------------------
My '69 Camaro Convertible

[This message has been edited by mr69 (edited 12-19-2001).]
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 01, 04:44 AM
Senior Tech

Paint it the original color. Hang a sign on the garage that says "No, it's not for sale so don't ask."

------------------

Dean

Racer#00

67 Camaro (Almost done!)
76 Trans Am Stock Car
68 Dodge D-100 P/U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode